PDA

View Full Version : Computer starting and stopping over and over?

larbaz
07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I just finished a new build a couple days ago. At first everything was ok. Thinking back I think the trouble started when I downloaded some updates. I also was not able to put system to sleep...kept starting back up. While reading the manuel I thought it said to change setting in bios from ide to sata on the controller. After that I started having problems getting back to windows. It finally did a system restore and started up. Next time I shut down the windows updates started again and on start up I had same problem. Finally got back into windows after setting bios to fail safe startup. I tried to do a repair with my windows7 disk, but it said something about a driver for scanner that needed to be updated first. To be able to start up, I put the jumper on the CMOS pin after unplugging and pressing power button. I disconnected the scanner before starting up, but got same message when tryig a repair. Turned off again and was not able to get anything but start up and off over and over. That was last night so I removed the battery and put jumper on CMOS reset. I have not tried to start up yet.

I have i7 2600 , ga p67a ud4 mb, g. Skill ram, cool master 600 psu

I would really appreciate advice please.

zburns
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Thinking back I think the trouble started when I downloaded some updates. Can you explain this in detail. From memory, I think after loading a Windows OS (vista in my case), I had the option to download something, but it was noted that three of them were 'strongly recommended' (or some language like that) and that the other three were elective -- is this what you experienced, and if so, did you download them including the 'elective' ones? What exactly were the 'updates'; if you just did it you should remember.

When you use the word scanner, what are you referring to? Exactly where in the BIOS did you change from ide to sata -- what section. I can look in the manual on line.

When you did the build, did you follow Rob's on line instructions specifically and to the letter, so to speak? I think you need to stop doing things just to be doing it.

Ultimately, the best thing you might should do is to wipe your hard drive clean using the Lifeguard utility, reformat the HD, reload the Windows OS from the disc, etc. But before getting into that, give us some answers to the questions I asked. Your post is at 10:20 am this morning -- what else has happened since then?

larbaz
07-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Thank you for answering. I was able to restart today and while starting got message that updates were being made from windows. Then a message was on the desktop that I could be using counterfeit software...I ignored the message because I knee I wasn't. Then I don't remember what happened but next there was a note above my task bar saying that my copy of windows was counterfeit or something.
I googled the message and found out where to call and got that fixed. Now everything seems to be good. It seems unbelievable that Microsoft can do that much o your computer?
The problem was that I ordered a OEM license about a month ago and upgraded. I didn't realize that you aren't supposed to change motherboards.

zburns
07-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Glad things worked out!! Good luck!