PDA

View Full Version : First Time Boot = Blank Screen

loyaltydeath
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure what the problem is but i'm pretty sure i followed all the steps thats included in the montherboard manual. When i start my pc everything works fine all the fans are turned on (PSU fan, Case fan), my video card is turned on and the ran runs, my dvd drives are fine my mouse and keyboard turns on. My case also has a temperture meter and its around 50 farenheit the fan speeds normal but i just can't get a screen. Then about 40 seconds later the pc shuts down. I'm sure i've plugged in all the wires correctly but i still have no idea why this is happening.

Anyways heres my build:
Case: APEVIA X-Cruiser Metal Case w/ Side Window-Silver
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: XFX nForce 680i LT SLI
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 640MB
PSU: XION PowerReal 600W
HD: SATA II 500GB
RAM: Kingbox DDR2 1GB/800MHZ X2(2 Of Them)
CPU Fan: ZEROtherm CF800

Hope someone can help me, thanks in advanced.

Rob
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Well I hope you've already given this page a look, but just in case.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_first_boot_common_problems.shtml

Likely suspects are the power supply, motherboard and CPU overheating. Is the CPU cooler properly installed with thermal compound? Try booting with a first boot configuration - meaning remove as many components as possible from the assembly - and see how it does. Is the power supply of sufficient wattage and of good quality? That video card is probably on the demanding side.

loyaltydeath
07-31-2007, 08:27 PM
I realized that my ram wasn't installed properly to cause the monitor not displaying anything but the computer still shuts down after 40 seconds or so.

Well i tested my cpu tempertaure and its around 30 degrees celcius which is fairly low, my cpu fan runs fairly slow but after reading the manual it does say on the manual that its normal to run slower but it cools the cpu just as good. I removed my drives my front panel display and my case fan and plugged in just my video card my motherboad my hard drive and the problem still persists as i thought my psu was too low. I really don't know what else could be wrong.

Rob
08-01-2007, 05:47 AM
What is the brand and wattage of the PSU?

Jamie Nixx
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Rob the psu is a XION powereal 600W :rolleyes:

Personally i think its the power supply.

To power a 8800GTS you need at the bare minimum 600w, and that is only advisable if you are using a really good brand i.e. hiper, tagan, antec ect.

I am going to tell you now, that power supply is a load of crap, to make matters worse it costs $100 on newegg :eek: thats outrageous.

More onto the power issue, not only are you having to power an 8800GTS, you also have to power a quad core as well.

If you can, send the power supply back, spend and extra $30 to $50 and get at least a 700w from a good brand name.

I recommend this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

loyaltydeath
08-01-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm really not sure about brand names for power supply units but mine isn't cheap though, the one i bought costs $132.99 i bought it at tigerdirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1566997&CatId=1483

wow, the priced dropped alot in less than a week :mad: maybe i should refund it...and get a better one?

Rob
08-01-2007, 11:48 AM
The next thing to try is a new power supply. I'd get an Antec or Enermax that meets or exceeds the minimum power supply recommendation of the video card.

loyaltydeath
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
thanks for the help i finally found out the problem it was the cpu overheating since my cpu fan wasn't on tight enough causing the cpu to heat up when i checked the temp in the bios. anyhow everythings working fine now.

Rob
08-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Excellent. Glad to hear it all worked out! Thanks for the update. Others with the same problem may find your experience helpful.

Jamie Nixx
08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Glad to hear it worked out ok, those coolers for Intel are notorious for being buggers to get on :rolleyes:

Still bloody good coolers though :D