PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newbie questions

randyw57
06-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I've never built a pc. I've been looking at this site and am considering this option seriously. I certainly like the idea of building a machine with high quality components that is tailored to my needs. A couple of questions:

1. What about SSD's? Is that a technology that I should be considering?
2. My desktop will need to be wireless connected. Is that something I can build into it? Or will I need to add a card or a USB device to give me that capability?

Thanks for any thoughts!

RickyTick
06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
SSD's are certainly worth considering. The only big problems are price and size. You typically will need to purchase a mechanical drive for storage of large files or pictures/video.

Wireless is not a problem. You can install a pci card as a wireless adapter. They work quite well and only cost between $25 and $50. It depends on what kind of wireless router you have. A USB 2.0 adapter can be used just as well too. Something like this maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

randyw57
06-26-2011, 10:47 PM
OK, I understand. The SSD is more a curiosity at this point. The wireless is a must. So I see how to do that.

That is an interesting system you have. I was thinking of something with a cpu that had integrated graphics.
I don't think I need a separate graphics card for my needs. I believe in the i7 line that means a 2600.
How would I find an AMD cpu that was close to the 2600 and had graphics?

Thanks!

RickyTick
06-27-2011, 06:37 AM
I was thinking of something with a cpu that had integrated graphics.
I don't think I need a separate graphics card for my needs. I believe in the i7 line that means a 2600.
How would I find an AMD cpu that was close to the 2600 and had graphics?

Thanks!

You'll have to wait for AMD to release Bulldozer.