PDA

View Full Version : MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition (XE) 3GB

unclepauly28
06-25-2011, 01:06 PM
I have finally decided on a video card for my PC build. After reviewing this forum and other forums and many reviews I have decided on the MSI GTX 580 Lightning Xtreme Edition (XE) 3GB. It uses the Twin Frozr iii technology and a lot of other perks. Every review has raved about its quiet operation, excellent cooling capability, and of course killer benchmarks. The problem is that this card was introduced at a Japan IT event on June 1 and obviously it is so new I can't find it for sale anywhere. Several YouTube videos show people reviewing the card and one even shows a guy unpacking it from a Newegg box but when I search for it I come up empty. Any suggestions?

zburns
06-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Check out this Newegg page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127579

Make sure it is for the MSI GTX 580 you are looking for. Then call Newegg and see what they say about delivery. If Newegg cannot get it quick, nobody can. After you talk to Newegg, if you are not satisfied, call or email MSI, USA; I would try calling them if you can get thru to 'sales' -- see what they tell you. I assume it is just an advanced iteration of an existing card -- knowing this helps you 'rationalize' a purchase of a fresh newly designed product, just going into production. Some caution should be used; I advise you to get comfortable with what MSI and Newegg say about it. I would definitely try to talk to someone at MSI, USA -- since the card is new.

Rob has a 'six month after introduction' purchase rule, and, I understand that. Provided this card is simply an earlier card with some new design changes that are relatively simple, you are probably ok. All that said, that is not a guarantee.

unclepauly28
06-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. That link was for the 1.5GB version of the card and I am looking for the XE (extreme edition) of the card that has 3GB GDDR3 memory. The link below is just one of the great reviews this card has gotten.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/43643-msi-gtx-580-lightning-xtreme-edition-xe-3gb-review-2.html
There are several others out there. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled.