PDA

View Full Version : High CPU Temp

Nine_Iron
06-21-2011, 11:04 PM
New to the forum and pc building......sorry about the other post, won't let me delete my mistakes. I was hoping you guys could help me out here. I recently built my first desktop pc. I built it to PC Gamer's Builder Bible 2011 almost to the "T".

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
Intel i7 2600k (with aftermarket cooler Master fan which is huge and got great reviews)
EVGA 560TI
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM
Corsair 800w Gamer series PSU
Corsair 80gb SSD
Cooler Master Storm case with optional 200mm fan (6 fans total)

It all installed and ran smooth and flawless. I was stoked for my first build!

Anyway, my problem is in BIOS, and with my Speedfan program it reads 120 degrees C (254 degrees F) at the cpu!!! All fans are operating and nothing I do changes these numbers. However, the funny thing is.....is that I can reach in and touch the base of the cpu and Cooler Master cooler and it is slightly warm to the touch. At 254 degrees F this thing should be melting the board and my finger! Anybody else have this problem before?

Also Speedfan reads my GPU at 125 degrees F which is correct. I have a laser temp gun and it reads that it is about 125 degrees F. Does that sound high to you? It feels quite warm to the touch but I can still hold onto it with out burns.

Any help would be fantastic and much appreciated!

RickyTick
06-22-2011, 06:44 AM
120 is too high. I don't understand why the system didn't shut down automatically.

I would remove the cooler from the cpu and re-apply the thermal paste and try it again.

zburns
06-22-2011, 07:29 AM
Based on your comments, if the Speedfan program was reading 120 degrees "F" (not C), then the degrees centigrade would calculate out to about 48.7 degrees C.

I have a laser temp gun and it reads that it is about 125 degrees F. I suggest you ignore Speedfan; go into your BIOS, you should have a live temp reading for the cpu in the BIOS; I assume 'temps' from the BIOS will (approximately)agree with your laser temp gun. Assuming the BIOS temp reads around 46C to 48 C, then your Speedfan program has a 'calibration' or setup error where F and C are interchanged.

EDIT a few minutes later: Just restarted and went into my BIOS. Going horizontal across the top of my BIOS settings to "Power", then down to "Hardware Monitor", then hit "Enter" to take you into Hardware Monitor, my first item 'monitored' is the CPU temp of 48.7 degrees C. I doublechecked it several minutes later and the temp was at 51.3 degrees C.

If you are uneasy about going into your BIOS, look in your mobo manual first, and you should see plenty of BIOS monitor screens; I imagine one of them will be the Hardware Monitor (or similar name).

When you actually do this on your build, the cpu temp will be a 'live reading'.

Nine_Iron
06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the help....I actually reset my pc and went into bios which this time was running 120 degrees F (around 50 degrees C) which I am happy with and sounds more like what I am feeling from touch with my fingertips. I rebooted and checked Speedfan again and now it is registering -76 degrees F.....somethings screwy with that system.

I do like to monitor temps while multitasking and playing games....you guys know of the best temp monitor program without having to enter BIOS?

So does 120-140 degrees F sound high for the GPU?

RickyTick
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
OH....your first post said 120 degrees C, now you're saying 120 F.

If you're cpu or gpu is at 120 F then that's fine.

Real Temp is a good program for monitoring cpu temps.

Nine_Iron
06-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Oops, sorry, had a duh moment on this one. I'm running two displays and I didn't realize my video card is working harder to run two, even when one is just on but not being used. My video card is now idling at 95 degrees F. :-)