PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive for RAID setup

Anthony
07-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm building my new pc and have a question about hard drives. I really don't know much about a RAID set up much less how to do it. However, I won't say I'll never do it. So, for now I'm buying one hard drive, the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

If I potentially want to set up a RAID system in a year or so, is it better to buy this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136032
I've been reading Rob's comments on hard drives and RAID. That's about all I know about RAID.

Thanks
Anthony

koganinja
08-27-2007, 01:44 PM
it dont mater what you use has long has they are the same size and have the sam mb and it is super easy to set up get two drives the same and go for it

raid 0 for speed one file i choped in half and the two bits go ther seprat ways one on one hard drive the other on the other

raid 1 for backup has in one hard drive in use the other is just a copy of the first one

DemonicDerek
08-28-2007, 01:34 AM
The basic types of raids used are 0,1,5, and 10:

Raid 0 is where multiple hard drives look like one hard drive to the OS, and the user if you look at it in mycomputer when your computer is completely built. What happens is when you save the file to the Raid 0'ed drives the file is split up into halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, ect. and basically 1/(# of drives) goes into each drive.

Raid 1: Is basically a backup system. It includes 2 drives, generally speaking, and what happens is everything written to one hard drive is written to the other.

Raid 5: Is much more complicated. It includes 3 or more Hard Drives and it is like a combo of Raid 1 and 0. But it is completely different at the same time. Let's say you have 5 drives in raid 5. What happens is the file is split into fourths and the fifth hard drive gets a parity file which is basically a form of a backup, in the event one hard drive fails then that hard drives files can be recovered. All the hard drives take turn saving the parity.

Raid 10: involvles 4 or more (has to be an even # thoug) of drives. The number of drives has to be even because Raid 10 is basically a bunch of Raid 1 setups raid 0'ed. So if you had 10 hard drives and Raid 10'ed them. What would happen is 5 of those hard drives would be copies of other hard drives adn the other five would save your files each having 1/5th of the file.

vnairborn
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
The basic types of raids used are 0,1,5, and 10:

Raid 0 is where multiple hard drives look like one hard drive to the OS, and the user if you look at it in mycomputer when your computer is completely built. What happens is when you save the file to the Raid 0'ed drives the file is split up into halves, thirds, fourths, fifths, sixths, ect. and basically 1/(# of drives) goes into each drive.
great explained- i got confuse about hard disk of my Dell xps 600(Two HD same capacities 160G)

Raid 1: Is basically a backup system. It includes 2 drives, generally speaking, and what happens is everything written to one hard drive is written to the other.

Raid 5: Is much more complicated. It includes 3 or more Hard Drives and it is like a combo of Raid 1 and 0. But it is completely different at the same time. Let's say you have 5 drives in raid 5. What happens is the file is split into fourths and the fifth hard drive gets a parity file which is basically a form of a backup, in the event one hard drive fails then that hard drives files can be recovered. All the hard drives take turn saving the parity.

Raid 10: involvles 4 or more (has to be an even # thoug) of drives. The number of drives has to be even because Raid 10 is basically a bunch of Raid 1 setups raid 0'ed. So if you had 10 hard drives and Raid 10'ed them. What would happen is 5 of those hard drives would be copies of other hard drives adn the other five would save your files each having 1/5th of the file.

great explained- i got confuse about hard disk of my Dell xps 600(Two HD same capacities 160G, rate 0) how can I make C and D on that thanks for any help