PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

Chevyt1963
05-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I am a newbie to the computer forums and believe it or not, I want to build my own computer. I have had it with the major computer mass marketeers, I want a better computer at a reasonable price that does what I paid for. Not sure if my sentiments resonates with you all but I need your help in deciding on the following items:

Intel PWLA8391GT PRO/1000 GT PCI Network Adapter - Intel
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H50 All in One High-performance CPU Cooler CWCH50-1
Corsair Vengeance Blu 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit for Intel and AMD Platforms CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750-Watt HX Professional Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
Cooler Master RC-600-KKN1-GP Gladiator 600 Mid Tower ATX Case with 140mm Fan (Black)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) OEM DVD 1 Pack - Microsoft Software; CD-ROM
AMD Phenom II X6 Six-Core Processor 1090T (3.2GHz) AM3 HDT90ZFBGRBOX (Black Edition)
Gigabyte Socket AM3/AMD 890FX/SATA3&USB3.0/A&2GbE/ATX Motherboard GA-890FXA-UD5 - Gigabyte

Thank you for your help.

RickyTick
05-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I don't see a video card nor a hard drive

Chevyt1963
05-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't see a video card nor a hard drive

You are right. I planned to use my hard drives and video card from my Dell. The video card is a 1 gb ddr5, I hope it will work with the upgrade to 64 OS platform.

RickyTick
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
The motherboard you've chosen has SATA connections. Do the hard drive from the Dell have the same connection?
What video card is it?

Everything else looks good.

Chevyt1963
05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
The motherboard you've chosen has SATA connections. Do the hard drive from the Dell have the same connection?
What video card is it?

Everything else looks good.

The HDs are SATA and the video card is a Nvidia GeForce 220. I removed the nic because the MOBO has dual LAN connections, not sure of their quality though. Thanks for your comments.

Chevyt1963
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I've completed the build and it appears to operate fine. I have also attempted to over clock the CPU following some examples from You Tube. I am so amazed at what one can do with a little assistance from others like yourselves. I don't quite understand all of the settings but I did notice that my ram was not set correctly. I adjusted the ram based on the manufacturer's suggestions and so far so good. I would like to share my settings so that I can get some better suggestions from you all. Thanks again.

RickyTick
06-12-2011, 06:41 PM
You may want to download and run Prime95 to verify that your overclock is stable. Another good program for stress testing is OCCT.

Chevyt1963
06-13-2011, 11:02 PM
You may want to download and run Prime95 to verify that your overclock is stable. Another good program for stress testing is OCCT.

After running the programs suggested I did find that I had an issue at 4ghz. During the run I would see one of the cores stop working, but this stopped after I lowered the OC to 3.9. I guess my question would be did this occur because I did not manually adjust the CPU voltage or perhaps I did not adjust another variable? Like I stated earlier I have tried to follow others who have successfully adjusted their 1100ts to 4.0 so unless I got a CPU with less capability I believe that I did something wrong. Another opportunity is present with my temps, I think that I should replace my thermal paste between heat sink and CPU, not sure if I have enough in pla e to ensure good conductivity of heat. Some of my te,ps during test appear to be higher than ohers when compared with similar heat sinks I.e. Cosrsair H50. Since it is easily done I will redo this step just to reinsure myself that all is well. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RickyTick
06-14-2011, 06:24 AM
Over-clocking is not an exact science. Each piece of silicone can act in slightly different ways. It could just be that your cpu will not go to 4.0 and remain stable.

Be careful and don't push it too far. I'd hate to see you damage a brand new piece of hardware.

BTW, are you over-clocking just for fun, or is there a performance reason?

Chevyt1963
06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Both kinda. I wanted to over clock for the experience and the extra performance (perceived or actual). My real hobby is photography and there are times when I produce large files and I need a fast CPU and plenty of memory to manipulate them. For instance, yesterday I created a panorama consisting of 20 or more 23mp each and it took a while for the computer to run CS5 but it did so flawlessly as expected where my Dell (bought for this reason) would sometimes not complete the process. So, I am pleased thus far with the performance gained. I also think, I would have had to spend well over the $964.00 to get a similar performing computer from one of the branded mass marketeers. So I am again please for the cost savings. Thanks for your help and replies.

Max

Chevyt1963
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Almost finished with this computer build waiting to order new SATA 3 hard drives. Since I last responded, I have completed the computer build with the following:
Corsair Cooler Master Md case
Gigabyte 890 FXA UD5
AMD 1100T
Corsair H50 W/cooling (push/pull fan set-up)
MSI GTX560 Ti OC
Corsair Enthusiast 750W
Dual Monitor set-up with View Sonic VP2365WB(s)
CD/DVD drive
Hard Drives
Several fans

I must say that I am most satified with this computer because it is my first build and I have in it what I want and not what the corps want me to have.

I have over clocked both the CPU (4.1 GHZ) and the GPU and both are stable with safe operating temperatures.

RickyTick
07-14-2011, 06:44 AM
That's great! It's very satisfying to put together your first computer. Enjoy!