PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need a Gaming Computer?

seeburt
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Even though I'm not a gamer I am a professional photographer and my need to move seemlessly between programs is important to me. I have multiple memory hog programs that I sometimes have open all at once. I use Photoshop (PS 5), Lightroom 3.4, NIK, and Bridge. It's not uncommon for me to have all 4 programs running at the same time while doing a Facebook update on my photo page.

My current computer is a store bought Gateway (GM5478). It's an early version quad core: 2.4 GHz, 2394MHz, 4 cores. I'm running Vista and 6 gigs of RAM; video card is NVIDIA GeForce 210; Intel G33/G31/P35 Express Chipset. I store most of my images on 2 external hd's.

My main complaint with my current computer is that sometimes it gives you that "barber shop ghost" (multple tracks/trails) when you move a program windows. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to react/process a change or alteration. I'm looking at putting something together that can handle the multi-tasking that I do, and not flutter. Maybe a full on gaming system is what I need and maybe not. I just know that gamers are a lot more familiar with what goes into the box then the average "Joe" (me). I don't know if my issues transfer into the gaming world, I just thought this was as good of place as any to start. Thanks and I hope I haven't pissed anyone off by posting here.

RickyTick
05-19-2011, 07:15 AM
You don't really need a "full on" gaming rig, but you do need something very close. The exception is the video card. The discrete video card for a gamer is specifically for 3D acceleration and high resolution. I would still suggest a discrete video card, but not the extreme one's that gamers need.

This video card would be on the upper end of what you need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102931

This would be on the lower end, but still adequate for your needs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130612
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150543

The rest of the system should resemble a gamer's rig. Something like this.
P67 motherboard
Intel i7-2500
8gb of ram (at least)
1gb hard drive or an SSD if it fits within your budget.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

seeburt
05-20-2011, 07:08 AM
RickyTick-

Thanks for taking the time to reply!!! And YES this does get me started in the right direction! I appreciate your input alot!

seeburt

zburns
05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi Seeburt.

I wanted to add a couple of comments from a different perspective. You presently have Vista and a older quad. Have you used 'task manager' and looked at your photoshop performance to see if all four cores are being used? From your descriptions, I would think you should be getting better performance presently assuming all four cores are being used. Your present RAM amount of 6 gig seems large enough. So exactly what is the problem with the present computer. I am not saying keep the present computer, but just exactly what is the problem -- it should be evident.

The reason I ask the first question has to do with the adobe software. Regardless of where I look on the adobe webpages, I find it difficult, if not impossible, to locate 'absolutely definitive comments' on the specifications of the software from adobe regarding how many 'cores' (should be all of them) will the software use under real conditions. This applies to CS5 and Lightroom primarily.

To be fair, I seem to recall a statement within the adobe web pages or from somewhere, that photoshop will operate over 'all the cores available'. But I go back to my main point -- why is it so hard to find specifications on 'effective use of multiple cores' by Photoshop, and by Lightroom.

Either your present quad is causing 'things to slow down' (you have plenty of RAM) or there are problems within your software. Also, regards software you presently have, it could be the cause or part of it, yet later versions of it might not be a problem.

Sorry to be 'so rambling' with my conversation. I just feel like you need specifics on all physical components and software components you plan to use.

EDIT: On your present computer, I briefly looked at the specs on the graphics card; sort of looks ok, but cannot be sure.

Just remembered another question. Are you using Camera RAW image files routinely?

seeburt
05-22-2011, 10:42 PM
zburns,

Thanks for the input, because every post helps me define why I'm here (this website) in the first place.

Though I know how to access the Task Manager, I don't know how to tell if all 4 cores are being used.

In answer to your question of what my issue is: it's that "ghosting" you get when you move a window and there's a trail you leave behind. I started off with 2 gigs of ram when my computer crashed a month ago, but I added 4 more (6 gigs now); a new hard drive and video card. I'm still running Vista. I don't get the ghosting as often now and my programs reaction to my alteration of an image has improved. I just want more! I guess I want to know how far I have to go before I see more improvement, and then I have to decide on and amount that I'm willing to pay. I can definately get caught up in the more is better thing!