PDA

View Full Version : DOS message returns "NTLDR is missing. Press CTR ALT DEL to restart.

dncb777
07-27-2007, 09:38 PM
MB is a MSI K9N SLI Platnum. WD 3200GB Caviar SE16 SATA II.

1st boot, no hardware, went fine. Installed all hardware. 2nd boot went fine. Went through BIOS and set up some things. 3rd boot fine. Downloaded to floppy from WD and ran DOS version Western Digitals Data Lifeguard tools to install the SATA drive without an operating system. Set up program said it would partition the drive at 135G as a precaution. Finished and exited set up and restarted with XP in the CD ROM. Got the message "NTLDR is missing." That's as far as I can get. I've gone back and checked BIOS, then when nothing was found I loaded the fail safe BIOS and checked to see if all the drives are recognized and enabled, etc. All OK. But, no effect on error message. I've rerun the Lifeguard Tools set up. No effect.

Anyone know what that error message means and how to fix it?

dncb777
07-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, that was what I should have done in the first place: put the error msg in the Google search window and look it up. Sorry. All I had to do was change the boot order. I'd assumed that with the floppy drive being first that if there was nothing in it that it would go to the second choice (since i set up the BIOS just that way). But it did not. Putting the CD first fixed it and XP is now loading.

The Wise Monkey
08-04-2007, 03:11 AM
Hmm, it should have skipped the floppy if there was nothing in it...

Strange, but at least it is working now. :)