PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of Wifi being used by others?

Anna ms
07-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Recently, my connection has been quite slow although i am connected via LAN to my router. Thus i went to my router setup page and see under DHCP Client Log and found another user connected:" ip=192.168.2.179 mac=00-18-39-0C-65-53 name=BLC0MPUTER". This name is very unfamiliar to me coz there can only be 1 com connected to my Wifi which is my Dad's laptop. So does it mean other pple are using my Wifi for free? I have WEP encrypted.

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 08:18 PM
it could be, i'd shut your dads computer off, then check it and if it still shows up, then you have a moocher. if its gone, it was your dads. To me it would be hard to get by the wep but you never know now a days. If your dads computer is on all the time but not used, it would still show up there. Let us know what happened.

The Wise Monkey
08-04-2007, 03:33 AM
You may want to change your WEP password to something more secure. I assume you are using 128-bit encryption?

DemonicDerek
08-28-2007, 01:46 AM
First take the Ip adress it displays and check if that is the Ip adress of your dad's laptop if it is then no moocher. If it isn't then check the IP adress of your wired computer if it is then no moocher other wise...

Change your wep password use highest-bit encryption possible.