PDA

View Full Version : Preference; AMD or Intel system?

Paul
04-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Looking to build higher end system, wondering whats the deciding factor for choosing an AMD system vs Intel system? Is it budget, faster, more stability, personal preference or is one more capable than the other?

For the intention of my build, I'm not hard core in any one area, will use it for a variety of things. Play a few games, burn movies, use MS Office and a few other apps. I do have future plans to setup a PVR (personal video recorder) (or better know as DVR) to record-pause and replay live TV. Also plan to setup a NAS server (network attached storage) to store movies on so all TV's and PC's in my house can access them via wired network. One other thing was to use it as home surveillance with networked cameras around my home.

I would rather spend a little extra to build a reliable system that will last a while vs building with something that may hiccup and konk out in 6 - 8 years.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

PS; Just an observation; was quite tough to get registered on this site. Searched all over this site for an admin email to ask about registration errors I was receiving. After couple days of searching the site I finally figured out it just doesn't like my yahoo address. Took me another 3 - 4 days of searching the internet for an email that this site would accept, mine has always been at yahoo mail. For those of you having trouble signing up, be sure to ask your ISP if they offer a complimentary email address. Some may charge a small fee. Otherwise just enjoy the reading and hope you find what you need.

Cheers!

RickyTick
04-11-2011, 06:39 AM
Hello Paul. Welcome to the site. Sorry you had trouble signing up.

At the moment, the Sandy Bridge platform from Intel has a performance advantage over AMD, so that's why it's getting all the attention lately.