PDA

View Full Version : 9 year old daughter wants to build super computer

scooby
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
:D

Hello everybody. My name is Mike and I have a 9 year old daughter (Emily) who wants me to build a computer with her. This all started when I chucked my last Dell computer in the garbage. I have had many many problems with Dell and I have owned 4 Dell laptops.

I was doing a search on possibilities of building my own PC desktop computer and low and behold this website came up. My daughter is very bright and was reading this with me. She is pretty excited and wants to discover how it goes together and the nuts and bolts behind it.

I'm a plumber by trade and Emily is a very hands on girl and wants to be right there while it's hapening.

The primary use of the computer will be for my family and and my plumbing business. I just need to run Quickbooks on it. I might even consider 2 computers because she is getting pretty smart with computers and kind of needs one also.

Games are not done in our house, at least so far but my daughter is very artistic and has been asking about a graphics editor to buy so she can be creative etc.

If you don't mind me asking.....where does this put me? What type of system? I've been reading through the threads and I'm getting a little confused on what we need.

Money isn't an issue here, I just want my daughter to experience a fun project with Dad and the end result is we also have a computer when we are done. Do any of you fellas have any sugestions what the best package would be for us.

Mike and Emily

RickyTick
04-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Hello Mike and Emily. Welcome to the MySuperPC forums.

On this build, will you be needing a new keyboard and mouse, and how about a new monitor?

scooby
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Ricky

We will be needing everything. When my daughter gets home tonight from girl scouts we are going to do some more research. So far I think it's smart to go a little bigger on everything just in case, you never know what the future holds and I just don't want to be sorry I didn't spend the extra couple hundred when it was smart to do so.

I have a question if you don't mind helping. Is it possible to have two internal harddrives? One for business and one for family? Or is that just plain stupid? LOL

On the monitor I was looking at newegg and like the 24 flatscreens. I would be willing to spend about 300 if it makes sense.

I guess in the end I like quality and even though it's now turned into a family project I still would like a nice machine. I don't plan on gaming but maybe in the future I will. Is there any way to plan ahead for something like that?

Thatnks for your help BTW, my daughter and I really like your website. She especially likes the computer dude logo. LOL

Mike

RickyTick
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I agree. There's not a good reason to buy the absolute cheapest thing you can find. There's also a point where you dump more money into the system than you'll ever get back or need. I'll put together a list of components that will exceed your needs and not be overboard. We call it "bang for the buck".

My wife, my 9yr old son, and my 6 yr old daughter all use Dell machines. I'm the only one with a custom built pc and mine runs circles around all of theirs and mine has the least problems.

Picking out a case is the only piece that is subjective or personal. Some people like a little flash, some don't. I'll throw out a few suggestions on the case and let ya'll decide what you like.
Something like this is very practical and reasonably priced.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
but a 9 yr old girl might really like something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144248
:)

scooby
04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Thank you so much Ricky, we really appreciate the help. I agree with you thinking on this, I mean, there must be a balance between "Why wouldn't you at least do this" and "This will keep you current for quite a while".

Every time I have ever "cheaped out" on something (rare) I have always regretted it. It would be nice to say "It's not over the top but it's a pretty sweet system"

Again, thanks for the help. I'll have my daughter read your replies when she gets home in an hour.

Mike

RickyTick
04-10-2011, 06:21 PM
I've updated the 'Recommended Builds" that are in my signature below. I suggest you look through them a little.

scooby
04-15-2011, 10:16 AM
thanks for the update. On the budget build for 620, don't i need a graphics or video card?

Mike

RickyTick
04-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Yep. I had a bad link there. It's fixed now.