PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from old PC - What to buy??

wes
04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi,

I am fairly new to adding/replacing components for my computer, however, I do know enough to know that there are better components to choose from now than when I bought my computer.

My question, or what I would like opinions on, is what should I replace. The pc that I am upgrading was bought in 2003, the HP Media Center 864n. The detailed specs are in the link:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i3d/01/A/man-migrate/MANUAL000043259.pdf

I am planning on upgrading to Windows 7. The computer will not be used for gaming, just wanting a solid performing PC that runs well.

Any help would be certainly appreciated. Thanks.

RickyTick
04-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Hello wes. Welcome to the forums.

You're very limited on what you can do with a pc that old. It may be difficult for Windows 7 to run smoothly without at least 2gb of ram.
Try installing the maximum amount of ram it will hold and see how it performs with XP.

wes
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess that is the big question. Am I better off purchasing a new computer or could I still come out better by replacing just a few of the hardware components?

Or, I guess since I am on a build your own pc site, should I go that route? I know that I would probably come out ahead but am just a little cautious doing this.

RickyTick
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Let's face it, an 8 year old computer is ancient in terms of what's out there today. If you're wanting to run newer software, then it's time for a new system. Building your own is much easier than you might think, and is a very worthwhile project.