PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard choice

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Ive read so much info that my head is spinning lol.
I want to get the E6750 but ive heard that i should get a mobo with 1333 front side bus. I was looking at an Asus P5N32-e SLI but I dont think that is gonna work for me. Any suggestions of a board like that that has SLI capability (2 PCI-E x16 slots)

Thanks, and this is a great site and great forum.. good job Rob.

Amos

Jamie Nixx
07-27-2007, 09:30 AM
That motherboard will be fine with that CPU, and that motherboard is absolutely bloomin fantastic :D .

I don't know where you heard that about the FSB speed, because CPU's don't ultilise that speed on mobo's yet anyway, but that motherboard has 1333 anyway for when they do, so again that motherboard is fine.

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
awesome, thanks mr foxx !!! the specs on the cpu say 1333 fsb . i can move on to the case and psu now.

have a great weekend.

Jamie Nixx
07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Glad to help. What case and psu are you thinking of going for, i can help you out with those too if ya want :)

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 09:41 AM
in this intel link, it shows 1333fsb. but that mobo would cover that right?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

I hear antec cases are good and solidly built. And i want a power supply thats at least 600-700w. the one i want comes with a 450 psu but i would eventually go sli and it says have at least 600w.

Jamie Nixx
07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
What a load of BS. That motherboard covers it but you don't need a motherboard with a 1333 FSB anyway.

Anyway, i have an Antec 900 (no power supply comes with it), best case i have ever had and i have had lots of them.

Hiper are probably the best power supply makers followed by Tagan, Zalman, Antec ect.

Always buy branded power supplies, its worth paying the extra.

What cards are you thinking of running in SLI? (here comes my party piece on why SLI is rubbish)

One card is always going to be more powerful than two i.e. 2 x 7600GT's won't be anywhere as powerful as one 7900GS or GT and so on.

Plus the two cards are going to be much more expensive than the more powerful one card, if you get my meaning.

Whats your rig spec?

Anthony
07-27-2007, 10:22 AM
This is my first computer to build. I am not a very computer savvy person. But from what I see on this website, there is plenty of people with opinions who will help. I finally decided on a processor and motherboard, so let me know what you think. From what I read, I believe they are compatible.

The processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 and the motherboard is the Asus-P5B Deluxe.

Once I get the processor and mobo decided, I'll work on the case and power supply.
Am I going too big for a first self built computer? We already have a new Gateway. I'm telling my wife it would be good to have a 2nd computer so I don't get in her way. Actually, the computer will mostly be used for gaming, don't tell her that.
Thanks,
Anthony:confused:

Jamie Nixx
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
No its not too big for a first build and that mobo and cpu is fine together.

What kind of games are you going to be playing, i have two super gaming rigs so i know i can be of some help :p

Anthony
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Just getting into gaming. But from what I see, games I would get would be games like Command and Conquer, World of Warcraft games, Civilization, those type of games. If I start playing online games, it would be a first.
Anthony

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 11:09 AM
I was thinking of getting either the 8800gts or 8500gt and then one day if i got the 8800gts i could get another when the prices come down to sli if ever needed.
I m not sure by my rig spec. I want it to game with , specifically rfactor. trying to keep it under $2000, trying lol.

Amosmoses33
07-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Im reading that the P5n32-e is not for a first timer, which I am because of the bios having to be updated and getting the right voltage memory, which i dont understand lol

Jamie Nixx
07-28-2007, 04:21 AM
Ok, here is a motherboard that is easy to set up, get the Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard, now i actually have this board in one of my gaming rigs and if i tell you that it is good, you know it should be :D

Excellent motherboard especially for gaming, one of the best Intel boards out now period, pair it with with some Corsair TWINX-XMS memory and a decent graphics card and boy, your going to have a really very powerful computer.

Don't get a 8500GT, they are crap, if you can afford it get the 8800GTS or if you can't get the 7900GT or GS.

Don't listen to BS about voltage rails, bios updates until you have actually built your first computer, your going way too deep and your doubting your choices of components by listening to technical jargon.

Get the motherboard i suggested, i guarantee you won't be dissapointed :)

Amosmoses33
07-28-2007, 08:10 AM
that one let me take advantage of the E6750s 1333fsb...cool
thanks
I appreciate the tips :)