PDA

View Full Version : CAT 5e will only transfer at 10 mb/s

7Case
07-27-2007, 07:17 AM
I just moved into a brand new house within the last week. I paid the builder to install three CAT 5e lines throughout the house. I moved my four computers into the new home (I ran my own CAT 5e cable in the basement for the forth one).

The computer with my own CAT 5e runs fine at 100Base FD.

When I connected the other computers to the builder's outlets, the computers refuse to make a connection. The lights on the NICs flash and the router lights come on, but data won't transfer. Each computer shows data packets going out, but 0 for received.

I fiddled with the other three computers for a while and discovered this: if I go to each computer and change the NIC settings to force 10Base HD then they work fine, but any other settings refuse to work.

I have run my own CAT 5e cable through the house along the floor just to test each computer and the router. They all work fine at 100Base FD with MY cable.

Isn't CAT 5e supposed to support up to 1000 Mb/s, yet I can't even get his to run at 100 Mb/s. BTW, I did check the cables the builder used and they all say "CAT 5e" on them.

What would be causing this problem? Three bad cables? Bad ends? Incorrect wiring at the outlet? Too long of cables? (mine works fine with 75ft).

I'm going to have a talk with the builder soon about this (everything is warrantied for a year), but I don't think he knows much about computers and I need to explain to him what he needs to do.

dadbuilt
07-28-2007, 03:59 AM
remove the Spam:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek:

Rob
07-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Spam removed. Thanks for the heads up!

DemonicDerek
08-28-2007, 01:43 AM
Cat 5e can't truly support 1000MB/s for starters. For the max length of cable is 100 meters or just over 300 feet so your more than likely fine. I am guessing that it possibly could be the RJ-45 Wall ports your builder/electrician built. He may have used a slower version of wall port thus not allowing full usage of the cable.

I know a fair share amount of stuff on networking, as a matter of fact I am saving up money to start my own ethernet cabling business which would only use Cat-6 Cables. If you have more questions you can e-mail me if you want... hockeyreferee78@yahoo.com

The Wise Monkey
08-28-2007, 06:59 PM
It can run close to 1000 over short distances though, which still makes it a better option than Cat 6, and a damn sight cheaper too.

As for this problem, you could have got a bad batch of cable too - maybe the whole roll was iffy. Check the wall ports first though. :)

DemonicDerek
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Cat 6 can still be as expensive as Cat5e, I know sites that price it that way. As well I will be opening a business to do exactly that. I will make Cat6 cables at the price of Cat5e cables, or around there. Normally I have seen Cat6 charged around a buck per foot, but I will be more like 50 cents per foot, it isn't exactly Cat5e but it is close. (only 14 cents off). I would still make money off of that because bulk (1,000 feet) Cat6 cost $100. If you do the math the cost of the bulk cable is 10 cents per foot. So your basically paying for the person/me to strip the wire, organize them in correct order, and then crimp it in a crimp plug. Which you have to do perfectly before crimping otherwise your wire is screwed up, so for one wire it could take me up to 2 hours or more.

The Wise Monkey
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Dude, I've done plenty of Cat 5e crimping in my time, and its not that hard. I don't know if Cat 6 is different though. :)

DemonicDerek
10-16-2007, 03:20 AM
Its not but the price of starting the businesss was too much (got over $1k). however cat 5e can't support Gigabit Lan in normal conditions only under perfect conditions could it do it, maybe. IDK what perfect conditions would be either so don't ask.