PDA

View Full Version : USB keyboard/mouse for first boot?

dncb777
07-26-2007, 08:32 PM
The keyboard I got for my first build and my Logitech trackball I plan to reuse are both USB. I see in Rob's instructions that he says to plug in the keyboard via PS2. I tried to use a PS2-USB adapter on this new keyboard on my present computer and it doesn't work. I think its intended to go the other way around. Do I need to go out and borrow an old PS2 mouse and keyboard for the non-operating system boots until drivers can be installed, or is there another option? Thanks for the benefit of anyone's experience on this.

The Wise Monkey
07-27-2007, 02:36 AM
USB keyboards and mice are fully supported during the Windows install. :)

dncb777
07-27-2007, 09:06 AM
You say, "USB keyboards and mice are fully supported during the Windows install." I'm only at the first boot -- no hard drive, no operating system. I'm guessing you mean, "They work for installing Windows, so they'll work prior to that too." I guess it can't hurt to try. But you know the nervousness of doing this for the first time. I didn't want to mess up anything.

Thanks for the help.

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 09:15 AM
In the system bios you can enable usb keyboard and mouse support the only problem is you'll need to perhaps use a ps2 keyboard to get there. Try the local thrift store for a cheap ps2 board there full of them.

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 09:19 AM
That first boot will bring excitement you'll want to call everyone you know. I felt like my son did when he made his first big boy poop in the toilet, Like I discovered America.

dncb777
07-27-2007, 09:41 AM
HA ! that's a good analogy. This is "the big poop day" for me. I'm just going to try the USB keyboard for 1st boot (while my friend's computer repair shop is still open) and see what happens. I'll post a reply to let everyone know if the PS2 is needed.

dncb777
07-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Wel..... First boot (and subsequent ones) have worked rather well. The computer seems to see everything I've put in! I'm on to drivers, etc.

In answer to my own question: the MSI K9N SLI Platinum already comes with the BIOS configured for USB enabled. I understand from a computer type (and from my own first boot success) that this is true of most all of them nowadays. So all this discussion about PS2 keyboards and mice is now outdated for new MB's.