PDA

View Full Version : any one wanna build a box for me?

pyromaniac511
02-22-2011, 07:06 AM
I've been out of the hardware game for a while and would like to have something powerful sent out to me in afghanistan. I can probably throw 2 grand at it. I do 3d graphics so memory is my main concern. Also, I don't need super fast processors but more so work horses. In the past AMD has been better but like I said, I have been out of it a while. Gaming cards typically do worste with the software I use so I typicaly stick with prosumers. Im not concearned for frame rates but how many polygons it can handle. I don't need a fancy tower and I preffer larger ones. thats all I can think of so if any one is bored and would like to help I would really appreciate it.

The Wise Monkey
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums. You may want to look into a boutique system such as Cyber Power PC: http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

zburns
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
When you say you do 3D graphics, does this mean you are working with already existing 3d video. Or are you creating the 3d graphics images from scratch, your own 'invention' so to speak. What graphics software apps to you presently use or plan to use? Again, my questions go directly to your comment ". . . but how many polygons it can handle." I see you also identify the problem with 'gaming cards' . I got ahead of myself on this post. It seems you do mostly original 'creation' of videos, movies. But the software you use or plan to use -- this means all software apps. Engineering graphics cards, including those for original image creation, are inidividually certified by the company producing a particular software application. This means you can possible have several high end graphics cards base on particular software applications.

pyromaniac511
02-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I use maya, the adobe suite and some times some other software sometimes. I do original art for comercial, print and video games. as for the video card, Im not all that informed on them but from what I understand game cards are fast and I need more umph and can sacrifice speed. I havn't heard of autodesk certifing cards but it wouldnt surprise me if they did.

One thing that I didn't mention in my original post is that I am looking for a mobo that can support at least 16gb of ram but preferibly more.

Thanks for your input.

zburns
02-25-2011, 10:51 AM
pyromaniac511 wrote:
One thing that I didn't mention in my original post is that I am looking for a mobo that can support at least 16gb of ram but preferibly more. This statement is an indicator that you have reason to know that you need increased speed of processing based on present experience.

Autodesk does not necessarily certify cards, but Invidia does it for them, or with them. Which brings me to this point. I will confirm this, but I think you (we) will find that Autodesk (Maya) and Invidia both recommend that 'gaming gpu cards' not be used for any Autodesk applications. Autodesk has a process for stating their system requirements based on the particular Autodesk software you plan to use. If Maya is the only one, that is fine; however, if you have any other 'similar' graphics software, please let me know so I can check for 'the certified card' for that 'different than Maya' software. This is the way Invidia certifies the cards, they test them against every possible Autodesk application and certify YES or NO.

This does not mean you have to purchase multiple expensive graphics cards; it does mean that, at a minimum, there might be only a few problems with a particular graphics software running with a specific graphics card.

Yesterday, when checking Autodesk for certified graphic cards for Maya, there 'system for certified hardware' was 'looping back on itself' -- I would follow their instructions (have done it before and it worked fine), but this time after two or three clicks to different locations, it sent me back to where I began -- I traveled in a circle -- I never got to the list of certified cards for Maya. Several weeks ago, using the same process I did get to the Certified Cards for Maya. So I have to work that out right now; worst case is an email to Autodesk asking for help or just get them to email me the answers.

For graphics, Invidia has three types of cards, gaming type cards that Adobe and Invidia say will work for some some specific graphic design apps., and two other cards, Quadro xxxx series and Quadro FX xxxx series -- two different cards. More than likely when I get the data I am looking for on Maya, the data will say that multiple choices of both Quadro cards will work or that multiple choices on only one of the Quadro cards will work; in any event they will explain why a card will not work.

The Quadro cards are expensive in that the bulk of the cat # choices are in the range (I am approximating here) $ 1300 to $ 3700, the difference in price being the speed of the card. The cards differ by price in proportion to the number of CUDA processing cores on the card, for example ranging from about 90 cores for the lowest cost to 380 cores for the most expensive (the numbers are from memory). They have cheaper versions like a Quadro 600 which has a very low number of cores and a very slow speed.

So what is the difference between Invidia's Quadro and 'gaming gpu cards'. I will briefly try to say what is in the Quadro and is not in the 'gaming gpu cards' -- they both have the basic math computing capability; whether it is perfectly identical, I cannot say.
The difference for the graphic cards like both Quadros lies in special math equations, formulas or algorithms.

Algorithm (Wikipedia definition): In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is an effective method expressed as a finite list of well-defined instructions for calculating a function. My words here: the word function means 'exactly what is the purpose of the algorithm -- let us say it is a special application of the use of 'polygons' as you use the word and its meaning to you. Let's say the 'special application' is never used for 'gaming gpus'. But the 'special application' is only important to the figures or graphcs which are the heart of or an important part of 'the type graphics' you do. So the industrial Quadro cards have 'these special equations or algorithms, etc' and the gaming cards do not -- and your application is better if the Quadro card is used. But the application can also be run with a gaming gpu card -- however, their will be a noticable difference in the 'quality' or effect you want to achieve in favor of the Quadro card.

So the gaming gpu card will work to some degree, but not for everything. The example I gave above is 100 % true. The most expensive Quadro cards will give you the fastest processing power; lesser expensive cards give slower speed. Not so sure the slower speed would really bother you. Another factor here is what Quadro cards are really needed in a $ 4000 workstation with multiple cpus -- so the more expensive Quadro cards are more needed, maybe, in the multiple cpu machines -- but they would still work in yours --but you would not want to spend the money -- my point being that the more expensive cards are meant for the larger capacity workstations -- but the more expensive would more than likely work in your new computer.

And the gaming gpu cards might work to a 'good' degree or an 'excellent' degree for you -- but this statement is 'application specific'.

At any rate, I need to get help from Autodesk on the 'certified hardware list' for Maya and then I can proceed to give you some specific data.

Regards RAM, your new system could probaly take as much as 24 and 32 gig of RAM

pyromaniac511
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow... that's a lot of information. My brain hurts a little but that really helps understand some of the hows and whys. As for software maya and photoshop are where I spend 99% of my time. I am dabling in mubox and have an interest in learning massive but wouldn't tailor a machine around these since they won't be my money makers.

As for the video cards... a lot more expensive then I remember but that doesn't mean they are out of the question, just that I may need to re-evaluate my budget. I don't need super fast (I can be patient) but don't want to lag so bad that I put a fist through the screen.

just out of curiosity, is there a way of getting more then 2 screens up or do I just do what I've always done and just run a second computer for reference and research documents. This isn't a big deal, more so just curious.

I really appreciate the very thorough write up you did, If I can help with the research or something let me know. I may not be up to date on the current tech but I will do what I can to not be a free loader.

zburns
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
pyromaniac511: I am giving you a link to a pdf document that contains a lot about the so called 'certified graphics cards for Maya'. Here is the link: http://download.autodesk.com/us/qualcharts/2011/composite2011_qualifiedgraphics_win.pdf

There is a Index on the left side of the document you will pull up. I suggest you start with 'Professional Graphics Cards' and proceed down the list from that point. Skip 'Read Me First' and the two items after that, initially. 'Read Me First' gets you into that 'loop' that takes you back to the Maya hardware list.

The rest of the items have to do with their reasoning for the Quadro over the routine gaming GPU cards, the comparision charts for certified cards, etc.. I read thru all of quickly one time and will do so again; I hope you see something in Invidia or Autodesk conversation that makes sense to you or rings a bell -- something that clearly makes a positive statement about the cards.

The items I suggest you read tell you something about these 'certified graphics cards' . At any rate you have the link to get back to the front page with the index. The choice of Graphics card is really what matters to you. More tomorrow! Should have posted this Friday or Saturday; sorry I did not!

zburns
03-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Here are two links for multiple monitor set up -- both are Invidia links. Use of an Invidia NVS card would probably result in a 'deluxe setup' (goes to level of convenience and features; I assume this because Invidia is in the graphics business and indirectly in the multi monitor business, at least as an 'enabler' in order to expand graphics card business). If you only want to do three monitors, it probably can be done cheaper than Invidia NVS. Before you decide it would be nice to 'fully' know the pluses and minuses of both ways to go.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/desktop-nvs.html for Inivdia NVS Overview. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_nvs_450_us.html This is for the Invidia 450 card itself, about $ 420.00 (it has less than 10 CUDA cores so it will work for monitors but not for graphics). The design of the card should take into account all necessary features for a business environment of multiple monitors not only 'stock market' trader use but more importantly, use by the graphics designer -- personal convenience for the individual graphics designer- this card is a marketing tool for Invidia.