PDA

View Full Version : SATA and IDE hard drives together?

dncb777
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I have an second WD IDE hard drive in my present OEM computer plugged in and used only for backups. Then I unplug it since it is only used once a month or so just so it doesn't spin up for nothing. My (just started) first build computer (from Rob's list of components) motherboard supports SATA and I have a WD SATA hard drive for it. I understand from Rob's instructions that I have to enable it in the BIOS for the SATA. If I can run both SATA and IDE together does anyone know if am I going to have any weird problems like the system getting confused with both enabled in the BIOS? Also, if I unplug the IDE drive between backups is Windows going to be unsuccessfully looking for the drive and refuse to start (XP will be on the SATA) or refuse to do anything else I'm not thinking about? Thanks for anyone's help.

The Wise Monkey
07-27-2007, 02:35 AM
SATA and IDE are fully compatible, so you don't have to worry about that. The only thing that I have ever had a problem with regarding running SATA and IDE together is that one of my computers used to take ages to start.

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Sata is faster at finding data than ide so just avoid putting the ide drive as your main drive. Boot to the sata drive main primary or 00 in the advance settings section of the bios. I would look into buying a usb harddrive case if I were you for the ide drive you have. Most power supplies don't like to be plugged and unplugged so much plus with all the sharp edges inside the case it's better not to.

dncb777
07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
10-4 on the "they are compatible." Thank you.

Does anyone know if I might experience a problem once the IDE drive is unplugged because IDE is turned on in the BIOS? I was guessing it would be OK since the boot drive would be the SATA, except that I'd get a big question mark in "computer mgt/hardware" but thought I'd ask.
I still want to unplug the back up drive, since it will last for the rest of my life if only run once a month for two hours to do a Ghost image backup. Re: "power supply not liking that." I do it before start up, of after shut down so that the different configuration is recognized (at least on this OEM Compaq).
10-4 on the sheet metal. Is THAT why the back of my hands have scars all over them............

Thanks for the help guys!

THIS IS THE BIG DAY FOR FIRST BOOT. Wish me luck!

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
All the luck. to you my friend

Those scrapes happen to us all just don't scrape the wires when unplugging your drives. A small cut in the wires is my concern for the you the PSU and system. Only takes one time.

dncb777
07-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, all this discussion has become a moot point since this MB (MSI K9N SLI Platinum) (has one MB IDE connection socket, and obviously that will be used by the DVD-RW and DVD-ROM. There ain't no place to put a n IDE hard drive! This MB is obviously made for SATA drives. Just as well. I didn't have a Molex 12v connector that would reach anyway. I guess I'll be using my old firewire external HD for backup....Or I could buy another SATA drive! What? I think I hear my wife calling.....