PDA

View Full Version : question about board and RAM compatibility

clem84
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I just bought a p8p67 board for this new PC. I put everything together and so far everything seems to be in order. But I was just looking at the user guide for the board, more specifically at the QVL for the RAM and realised that the RAM I ordered is not listed. Can this be a problem?

The RAM I ordered is the Corsair vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8, DDR3 1600MHZ, 8-8-8-24.

When I first booted my PC, I went into the BIOS and it sais that the RAM was running at 1333. Since you can change the frequency I selected 1600 but then I started having weird problems like the PC would boot, stay on for 5 seconds then shut down, then start again and then freeze until I push the reset button. When I change the RAM frequency back to 1333 the problem went away. I'm just wondering if the fact that my RAM isn't in the compatibility list can cause other problems. Anyone know? Should I change?

RickyTick
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I copied this from a review of that motherboard.
"The MemOK button we all know of course, MEMOK! enables the motherboard to boot up successfully even if there might be some compatibility issues between the motherboard and the memory. All you have to do, is to simply hold the MemOK! button till the red LED begins to blink to ask motherboard to take the charge of self-memory patching process, and fix the memory compatibility before your very own eyes, till the system finally able to boot up without loosing your BIOS/EFI settings."
Here's the link to the entire review. http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-p8p67-deluxe-motherboard-preview/

It's normal for your ram to "underclock" to match the frequency of the motherboard.

clem84
02-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll read that review. Thanks for the reply. always helpful.