PDA

View Full Version : First Build Compatibility

stoutimore
02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
This is my first build. I don't do gaming, and require only average video and sound. Mostly use email, internet, office suite applications, and light duty video. I am perplexed by the many different speeds, form-factors, rates, etc., that must be compatible for things to work. If it matters I run Ubuntu Linux. I would appreciate any input on whether any of the following are off:

Case: HEC 7106BB ATX (I need a horizontal case).
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz, 2 X 512KB L2 Cache, 6MB L3 Cache, AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop, C3 Revision
MoBo: Biostar TX790GXB3 AM3 (ATX)
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDRe 1600 (PC3 12800). (Ordered only one pair).
PSU: Cooler Master Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12v
HDD: WD Caviar Blue--SATA, 320 GB
CD/DVD: Lite-On iHAS-324-98B
Fans: The case didn't come with fans. There are places for a 120mm fan at top, two 60mm fans at back, and one 80mm fan at front. Will I need to add fans at some or all of these locations, or will the PSU and CPU fans be adequate?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RickyTick
02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Hello Stoutimore. Welcome to the forums.

I'm going to assume you're referring to this motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138163

You may be better off to go with ram that is 1333 or 1066, since that's the default ram frequency.

It's about $40 more, but this would be a better processor, plus it's on Biostar's "approved" cpu list.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

I think I'd add a couple of fans too. At least one intake and one exhaust.

stoutimore
02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's the mobo I ordered. Looks like I'll need to return the CPU that I ordered. I wish I'd joined this forum beforehand. Oh well. Do you think the Cooler Master PSU is adequate?

Fans: I went with the HEC 7106BB case because I need a horizonatal case, and there aren't many in ATX FF. It comes with a bridge and duct that is supposed to mate to a Prescott CPU and exit the top of the case. It's 120mm. But most reviews said that it didn't fit anyway, and many builders didn't use it. If the CPU fan that I install doesn't come anywhere near that duct, would it be orthodox to mount a 120mm fan such that it exhausts out the top, and use the front 80mm and two rear 60 mm fan mounts as intakes? (That's the way I vented my attic--intake at bottom, exhaust at top).

stoutimore
11-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Okay. The project sat on a shelf for over a year, but now I'm finishing it up. I installed the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX recommended by RickyTick, the Biostar TX790GXB3 AM3 (ATX) motherboard, and G. Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDRe 1600 (PC3 12800). I mostly use Ubuntu, but I want to be able to dual-boot with Windows, so I'll have to buy a Windows package because all of my Windows discs are for a Dell only.

Should I buy Windows in the 64-bit version or the more-common 32? If I'm not mistaken, I would be able to run either. I prefer the old Windows XP, but would a newer version be advisable?

RickyTick
11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
If would suggest going with the 64-bit version. You shouldn't have any problems with compatibility. The latest version is Windows 8 and is available at any online retailer. It's going to be drastically different from Windows XP and Ubuntu. You can still purchase Windows 7 if you're not ready for the big jump to Win8. I would suggest going on to Win8 since you're basically going to have to learn a new OS anyway. It might as well be the newest generation.