PDA

View Full Version : Which Power Supply to use?

kanebrasi
07-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I am on my second build and having a really hard time finding any resource to help choose the right power supply. Is there just a general rule to follow, such as staying with a good brand? Maybe just buy 500W or more just to be sure you have enough? I keep reading about how you need to know what's on each rail and that that is more important than the wattage. I'm not even sure what a rail is.

My current build is a Intel P35 motherboard, E6600 cpu, 2GB DDR2 pc6400, Geforce 7600GT, WD 500GB, 3 fans.

Just looking for an easy way to choose so I don't have to worry about system stability as far as the power supply is concerned.

Thanks for any help.

Brasi

The Wise Monkey
07-27-2007, 02:25 AM
When looking for a PSU, brand is usually more important than wattage in terms of stability. Min wattage for your system is about 500W I reckon.

For general use, I'd recommend an Antec PSU - great quality and not too expensive either. For more hardcore PSUs, check out Tagan or Hiper - these are both very good quality makes. The Hiper R 500W iirc is a damn fine PSU.

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Antecs are nice quality PSU's . I happen to like Ultra PSU's as well as Thermaltake . Stick with 500wt and up NEVER LESS.

Jamie Nixx
07-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Hiper all the way baby :D

Hiper type R is probably the best PSU going at the moment and its not too expensive, its about £60 in the UK.