PDA

View Full Version : Recommended ATX case 7.5" wide

StarCapt
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I am rebuiliding a computer using the "MySuperPc" recommendations.
However, I must use an ATX computer case no wider than 7.5" since it goes into an enclosed compartment in my desk. I'm currently using a Thermaltake Matrix VX 3000 (aluminum) case which I like. I'm considering replacing this with a Thermaltake V3 since it has airflow perforations on the top (where there is the most space in the compartment).
Am I missing a better choice somewhere?
Thanks in advance for helpful replies.
SC

RickyTick
02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Looks like a nice choice. It only comes with one (1) fan in the rear, so you'll need to purchase additional fans for the front intake and the top exhaust.

StarCapt
02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your reply. However, after reading it I found multiple user reviews trashing the Thermaltake V3, especially with regard to the ability to attach a fan to the top open mesh, the reason I was considering it, e.g., "This case supposedly has 3 optional expansion slots for 120mm fans which you can install: top, bottom, and front! Unfortunately, the only one you can utilize is the bottom one since both the top and the front will not fit at all!!! This is simply a design FLAW of this case!Also, no dust filters for bottom and front fan slots (which take air in)... a bit disappointing considering there are dust filters for the CD drive slots which were included."
Among 7.5" wide computer cases, the CoolerMaster Elite 330 seems to have almost universal praise (though it has no top open mesh - indeed I find no others that do have one). So if I do a rebuild with a new case instead of my current Thermaltake VX 3000, I'll probably use the CoolerMaster.
SC