PDA

View Full Version : BIOS settings and CD DRive

Piginapoke
02-10-2011, 06:33 AM
I can't install my OS. A little bird told me it might be my CD Drive scratching my Disks. Since I can't install my OS; Is there a way to run the CD drive from the BIOS settings or change a setting to make it run without installing OS. I thought if I could get it to run I could put some clean new disks in it to check if the burner is indeed scratching the disks.

My basic system:

M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
I have a sony DVD burner

zburns
02-10-2011, 02:14 PM
I have not heard of 'scratching disc problem ever'. But let us assume that is happening.

Try taking a brand new disc out of a package; look at it at an angle so that light reflects off of it and rotate it thru various angles. Sooner or later, you will see that you have eventually covered or looked at the surface of the whole disc; my point is that if you have scratches, they will show, or --whatever is the mystery problem -- is not a scratch.

For example, if you have been routinely burning CDs or DVDs, just look at them using reflected light. If the surface looks bright and clean like new -- then there are no scratches.

Recording, playback of digital discs is all done by lasers, lenses and very precision positioning components -- nothing gets near the disc itself. If there is scratching, I assume it comes from handling. Obviously there could be a mechanical defect that would allow internal parts within the burner to touch the disc, but then it probaly would not be a working device.

Here is a link to a google page that explains the technology: http://books.google.com/books?id=peJgpYork4YC&lpg=PA81&ots=wNZZfJRNIH&dq=DVD%20disc%20microscopically%20looks%20like&pg=PA81#v=onepage&q&f=false
The explanation interestingly shows a picture done with an electron microscope of the 'pits' or 'craters' on a DVD. Looking at that picture makes one appreciate the importance of protecting a DVD from dust and dirt -- both can be the cause of failure to 'read' data.