PDA

View Full Version : Large enough power supply to run GTX570?

mastagolf
02-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I am trying to put all the pieces together to build my first PC and wondering if anybody could give some advice on the power supply/video card combo I have

Video GTX570
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130593

Power Supply in case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171054&cm_re=Cooler_Master_RS700-PCAAE3-US_700W-_-17-171-054-_-Product

Concerns in reading specs:

1. What is the +12v Rail all about?
Video card states minimum of 38 amps on the +12 volt rail
PSU states Single

2. Connectors?
PSU has 2x6+2-pin connector for PCI-Express Connector
GPU states 2x6 pin for connector
..looks to work correct?

3. Also what is the differences between the manufactures of the GTX570?
Just the wrapper?
All seem to have NVIDIA chipset
So why all the different reviews about which one is better?

Will I have any trouble running this GPU with this PSU?

Thanks for the advice

zburns
02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
The +12 volt portion of the PSU is the most used part of the PSU on any ATX form factor computer -- everything about your computer is ATX form factor. EVGA in their video card specs always provide a wattage rating; it is my understanding from this forum and from EVGA that the EVGA wattage spec includes the overall wattage requirement for the entire computer, not just the video card; 38 amps on the +12 volt rail is for everything using +12 volts. The PSU you propose is 52 amps and the +12 volt rail. It is a bad idea to size the PSU wattage just at the so called computer watt requirement. In your case a so called 14 ampere over rating is perfectly acceptable and makes good sense. That is not a very large "overage" factor.

12 volt rail can mean a large amperage (like 52 amps) on one single output, or it can mean two or three +12 volt rails with separate ampere outputs, all of which add up to the total. (The separate outputs are the "old" way, while one single rail may be called the "new" way or the "later way". Not much difference really between the two. If it really mattered, there would only be one method, either the single rail or multiple rails. Data on internal computer circuits is a industry well kept secret because all components are so competative; different ways to do things are intentionally sought out, not only because they can be better, but also, doing it different, even it there is only a marginal difference gives that mfg, different arguments as to why his product is better!! Weird but standard practice in design and manufacturing.

PSU cards that need a lot of wattage have 3 over 3 six pin standarized male connectors on the card. The big powerful PSUs similarily have two female 6 pin connectors (maybe more) to feed two video cards for SLI.

Cannot answer regards any real differences between the video cards. Ricky Tick and others who are big gamers might say something. There are a number of trusted reviewers out there; look for any negative comments from them as a help.

Your PSU choice should be ample with power left over. Best to have one too large than the other way around. The larger more expensive PSU also, means a better circuit design really because the extra money allows more desirable features to be included, designwise! GPU should run fine!

RickyTick
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
The GTX570 is an awesome video card and will play any game at maximum settings on any monitor less than 30".

Technically speaking, that psu should work ok, but the reviews were not very good. I'd suggest looking at something else. Maybe Seasonic, Corsair, or Antec.