PDA

View Full Version : Intel 6 Series Chipset Problems - Recent Builds

Spackler
02-01-2011, 09:05 AM
So, looks like some recent builds around here may be tied into the recently announced Intel chipset problems.

Per Intel: (http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm)

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2011 – As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series (and the Intel® C200 Series Chipset), and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel’s latest Second Generation Intel Core processors. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

Looks like the ASUS P8 P67 Pro put in my recent build is affected, so I'll be looking into that. It is my understanding that this is a longterm degradation problem and not something that will cause a system to blow up in the next 180 days or something, but the flaw will need to be fixed for existing chipset users... Fix to ship in March, probably.

In the meantime, anyone else with this recent build issue, feel free to chime in with what you learn.

Those with greater proficiency on these issues vs. me, please add any context you think is relevant. Seems obvious enough that new builds should hold off for now unless willing to deal with cleaning up their mess.

Thanks

ImissDos
02-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Hello Spackler,
I "poached" your build list and do have most of the same components that you used. I just found out about the recall at ASUS Forum website. I did a "Live Chat" with a Newegg representative and do not know exactly what to do yet. From what I have read, hopefully not all of the "6" series chipsets are effected. I may just have to wait to do my build or get components that have been tested by time. Good luck to you (and me) !!!

RickyTick
02-01-2011, 01:56 PM
fyi
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

Spackler
02-02-2011, 08:39 PM
New Egg has a short video on the problem including temporary workarounds until the problem is resolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY)

Their view is they'll be expecting corrected chipset motherboards to ship sometime in April and will provide a hardware trade for those dealing with this problem. This means those of us who hopped on Sandybridge for our builds will be doing a little reverse engineering and rebuilding with a mobo replacement.

Spackler
02-03-2011, 08:12 AM
http://event.asus.com/2011/SandyBridge/notice/

This will be an inconvenience at worst. Those of us who bought in can expect a replacement product when available.

meg
02-03-2011, 02:55 PM
When am I going to get my letter from ASUS? Newegg was very timely. I registered my ASUS product!

Spackler
03-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Has anyone done it / planning on direct with Asus? I'm choosing option 2.

Dear Valued Customer,

Great news! In early February, we sent you an e-mail notifying you of a design issue with the Intel Sandy Bridge compatible motherboard model you recently purchased from our site. We are pleased to announce we expect to receive a new batch of replacement motherboards soon and, based on your purchase date, you are eligible to request your replacement at this time for the specific order and item information provided below.

Sales order number: xxxxxxxxxxx
Item number available for replacement at this time: 13-131-682
Item description: MB ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA1155 R

To guarantee your replacement, please reply to this email within the next 7 business days. We currently have a very limited supply of replacements and unless we hear from you within that time frame, we will release unclaimed units to the next in line.

At Newegg, we are committed to making this process easy and convenient for you. Please note the options below and reply to this e-mail with your selection in the subject line:

A. Regular RMA
Regular RMAs are shipped once we receive your original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, we will create an RMA and send you a free return shipping label. Once we receive the original item from you, Newegg will ship the replacement to the original shipping address.

B. Advanced RMA
Advanced RMAs allow us to ship the replacement to you promptly and gives you 30 days to return the original unit. Once we receive your e-mail, a Customer Service Representative will contact you within 2 to 3 business days to process your RMA. Advanced RMAs require a Credit Card authorization: in the event we do not receive the defective replacement within 30 days from the date the replacement is shipped, the credit card you provide on the phone will be charged in the amount of the product retail price. Please include the best phone number to reach you at in your email but do NOT include your credit card information.

C. Not Interested
If you are not interested in a replacement, or have initiated a replacement with the manufacturer, you can either reply with "C" or "Not Interested" in the subject line, or simply disregard this email.

If you do decide to return your product, please send back the original retail box (if available) and all accessories originally included. Your replacement is a brand new item and is equipped with new accessories. All replacements will be mailed to the original shipping address unless otherwise specified in your e-mail.

We appreciate your patience in this matter and thank you for your patronage!

Sincerely,
Newegg.com