PDA

View Full Version : KVM and Video

mastagolf
01-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Hello,

Thank you for the time and support this forum provides.

I currently have a Belkin 4 port SVGA PS2 KVM switch. It has served its purpose allowing me to have 3 desktops and a docking stationg for my laptop with only 1 monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I am currently thinking of building a new PC which will have a Radeon 5870 video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121374
which only has outputs of HDMI or DVI.

SO my question is around the configuration of the computers...If I remove one of the computers, I can set up the new PC on that port...however, the ports are SVGA so I guess I use an adapter on the video card from HDMI to SVGA? Will that decrease my performance a lot?

What if I were to not plug the video into the KVM and go directly to the computer using HDMI, leaving the rest on SVGA? Would it work?

Hope I made sense and appreciate any advice

The Wise Monkey
01-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Does your monitor have an HDMI input? I guess you could leave the new PC connected via HDMI all the time, then just change the monitor input to be VGA when you need to use one of the other PCs.

mastagolf
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the rsponse.

The monitor does have VGA/HDMI/DVI inputs

I read up some more and looks like this is feasable just changing the inputs from the monitor OSD

So here is a follow up...

If the monitor will control the video, would the KVM still run the Keyboard and mouse when that port is selected.

Computers 1,2,3 on the KVM running vga/k/m
Computer 4 on the KVM running k/m - hdmi directly to monitor

switching the kVM to computer 4 and switching Monitor to HDMI should work?

The Wise Monkey
01-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah, that should be fine.