PDA

View Full Version : ASUS Boot Problem

JRL1948
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
My newly built system - Antec 300 - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO - AMD 965 BE - Cooler Master 650 PSU - XFX Radeon 5850 1 GB - G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 - WD 640 HD - Samsung DVD.

I can boot into BIOS (using the delete key) and see both my HD and CD however when I try and load Windows 7 I get the following message "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" and nothing happens - it keeps repeating.

I have the CD listed as first boot device in the BIOS.

I also get a "no hard drive detected" which I assume is because it in a clean OEM HD.

I'm stumped and would appreciate any help. :confused:

zburns
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I have tried to find your mobo on the Asus web pages but cannot. It does show up under Newegg as a current product in stock; however, when I try to bring up 'DETAILS' which is their word for specifications, nothing happens. Asus has a support webpage and when I plug in your above mobo asus number, nothing happens.

Please check your cat numbers against what you have posted to see if they are correct. Basically I cannot find technical data on your mobo; I cannot even confirm that your cpu is compatible. So recheck your numbers and I will try again in the morning or as soon as I see something from you. Your problem sounds like a BIOS problem, most probably some wrong entries. Also, your hard drive is probably a SATA drive. In gigabyte mobos, sata drives do not show up under IDE devices in the BIOS; no way to know if ASUS is the same. But you can call ASUS and ask.

You are correct with the CD listed as first boot device, HD should be your second device. Did you run the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics or not? Should have been done before you tried to load the Windows 7.

I will be glad to help, but I have to see some specifications on the mobo and match the cpu to the mobo first.

PS. Get the mobo number directly off the ASUS box the mobo was packaged in.

JRL1948
01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The number is correct - right off the box.

This is the MB http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ASUS-M4A79XTD-EVO-Motherboard/825

This is the Newegg link for the combo I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.580614

Oh yeah I haven't run the Lifeguard because I have no way to run it unless I can use a thumb drive in the USB port but with no drives detected I'm not sure how to do it.

Thanks again

zburns
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
JRL1948 (I will keep adding to this post as I have comments ready.)

OK, sorry so late getting back. Comment # 1: I assume you have 2 sticks of 2 gig RAM. Next para from Hardware secrets applies to the RAM -- has to be installed this way:

From your hardware secrets review, the following statement regards your RAM: "It comes with four memory sockets and in order to achieve the maximum performance possible you need to install two or four memory modules in order to enable the dual channel feature, which doubles the available memory bandwidth. If two modules are used, you need to install them on sockets with the same color. On this motherboard sockets one and two are black and sockets three and four are blue."

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Good Morning!

Yes I have 2 sticks of 2 gig RAM - they are installed in sockets 3 & 4 (blue) as recommended in the ASUS user guide. The memory is recognized in the BIOS.

zburns
01-22-2011, 11:28 AM
My comments will have to be sequential posts to keep confusion down. Below is how to run the WD data lifeguard utility -- a lot of detail. The WD site is not necessarily 'first timer friendly'!

Comment # 2: Running the WD Data Lifeguard Utility is important. Here are some reasons. When you complete the "run process" of Data Lifeguard, you are giving yourself an 'up to date seal of approval' -- your new computer is working at that point. My opinion, you should do whatever you have to in order to run it. Here is the process you must go thru:

1. Go to the WD site, for Data Lifeguard Utility by clicking on this URL: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

2. In the lower right corner area, in the lower box, enter your WD Hard Drive Cat #, and, then click on the arrow to the right. The part # you give in your first post is incomplete, but from that #, I assume your part # is WD6400AAKS. By entering this part # 'in the lower box', you bring up this page: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?modelno=WD6400AAKS+&x=12&y=13 --- and on this page you have five download choices of which here are two of the choices: •Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS and •Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD). The choice you want is the one for (CD).

3. So click on "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) and you get this new page at this URL: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=606&sid=30&lang=en. This page gives you complete instructions on how to proceed by downloading this file to your computer: Diag504fCD.iso (or if you have a floppy drive, you may download the zip version). Once you have downloaded the iso file to your computer (or 'a computer'), then you must burn a bootable CD from the iso file just downloaded. You now have the WD Lifeguard Utility on a CD you can slip into your new build and run the DATA Lifeguard Utility.

Note carefully the last para -- complete instructions on how to run the WD Data Lifeguard Utility. It may take you several hours to do it, but it will be worth it.

Comment # 3. If the WD Data Lifeguard Utility will not run on the new computer, then you have an error in the build up to the point of trying to run the WD Utility. Assuming you have checked carefully all steps from first boot up thru second boot, most likely you have a BIOS setting not correct.

Comment # 4. Another reason to run the WD Data Lifeguard Utility: If you purchased your Win 7 software OEM, once you load the OS, you will be unable to use the Disk again -- that is until you call Microsoft and get their permission to reuse it -- because their intent is for the disk and what you paid for it entitles you to use it only on one computer -- there way of controling this policy.

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post. I cannot get the system to boot from the CD. The drive is listed in BIOS as is the HD. I do get a message "HD not detected" when I first start the system.

When I put a disk in the drive (ASUS support DVD or Windows 7 OEM) I can see the drive thinking (green light blinking) then I get the same message "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I understand the importance of running Life Guard my problem is I have no way of running it.

I followed all of the steps in the build as well as the first and second boot sequence.

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Based on what I have read on multiple forums this particular ASUS MB has more than a few issues. ASUS has what I consider the WORST support I have ever seen - call me seriously disappointed at best.

At this point I will likely send the MB back to Newegg for a refund or some other solution unless something miraculous occurs.

Thanks for your help.

zburns
01-22-2011, 12:14 PM
You are communicating on a computer right now. Is there a floppy drive on that computer? If not, can you not borrow a thumb drive from someone? Moving ahead from this point, I consider it mandatory that you run the WD DATA Lifeguard Utility, regardless of the time or effort you expend to get it done. Here is why. So far you have followed "X" number of steps outlined in a online presentation or a book by Rob Williams; most of us who communicate with you also know of and follow his steps. What you have done so far is relatively straight forward and simple. Once you get into the software portion of the build process, it is most important that you know your machine "WORKS!!" before you load the OS. Once you get the OS loaded and if you have problems, figuring out the problems is a lot of trial and error; if you add to this process, a simple mistake in the basic build process, you may have a difficult time finding the mistake and you may 'compound the errors by adding more error'.

Hold off on communicating back, I want to add something else to this post. Take about 10 minutes or less , I hope.

Ok, I have covered the WD Data Lifeguard test completly I hope. Now back to your basic problem of 'Drives not recognized'. Recently, I worked with 'AL' a forum member; his problem under First Boot, name of the Thread 'Call Me Al'. This thread eight pages long. Along about post # 52 is where we started to get some idea of what was wrong. I think I am right about the following: Al had followed Rob's instuctions exactly including the BIOS settings (he had Rob's Gigabyte mobo recommendation or one from the same family). Under Intergrated Peripherals in the BIOS, he had three settings set for AHCI and none for IDE. He talked to Gigabyte two or three times. The first lady instructed him to set all three settings to IDE instead of AHCI, the second person, a man, told him to set the first setting to AHCI and the next two to IDE. It may have been the first lady saying all settings IDE caused the hard drives to be recognized and Al may have left all three settings at IDE -- I will go back thru the threads and see what he said and repost a correct answer according to him.

Here is another problem. If the mobo is Gigabyte, the user manuals are readily available on line. I have not been able to get a Asus manual on line yet, but I will try again shortly for your mobo manual.

I assume your drives not recognized is a BIOS problem; however, I will tell you that in Al's case, he went back to first boot and came forward up thru Intergrated Peripherals about three times at least checking every step looking for a mistake.

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I have downloaded the file from WD onto a thumb drive. My problem is trying to get my new machine to locate and install it as I have no drive options to choose from.

Here is a link to the manual if that helps. http://www.iusermanual.com/motherboard/asus-m4a79xtd-evo-usb3-motherboard-manual.htm

zburns
01-22-2011, 01:50 PM
This post will be about two different topics. First, your above post. I assume you downloaded the iso file for your HD part #. After you download to a Thumb drive the WDLGuard Utility, you use that download to burn a CD disc, not on the new build but on another computer. Once you have disc burned, use that disc in the new computer to run the WD lifeguard utility. The links I provided to the several WD pages are quite clear on burning the final CD disc and the software to burn it with. The last WD download page you look at is very clear on the fact that you must burn a disc.

Next regards your new build not recognizing the hard drives. (I will take a look at your link to the ASUS manual later this afternoon). In the eight page discussion, under First Boot, Call Me Al, post # 47 and # 56 are the beginning of how his problem was solved; not saying you should read it from there unless you want to. I can summarize. Al set his BIOS under Integrated Peripherals as Rob in his on line instructions said to do. (Al's SATA DVD/CD drive and the HD were not recognized in Standard CMOS Features on the Gigabyte mobo. That is what started Al's thread. Three settings were involved in Al's final solution, beginning with the two posts I just mentioned) The three settings were PCH SATA Control Mode, eSATA Ctrl Mode and GSATA Ctrl Mode -- Rob said to set all three to AHCI because all Rob's drives were SATA drives; however, Al found that in order to get the Data Lifeguard Disc to run (also, his OS would not load), he had to make all setting IDE instead of Rob's recommendations for all AHCI. Al called Gigabyte regarding the problem, and Gigabyte told him to make the PCH SATA Control Mode AHCI and the other two IDE. This did not work and Al tried all three settings at IDE. The WD DATA Lifeguard Disc then worked as did the OS Win 64 bit loading properly. If you read Al's post starting from # 47 and going forward, this is what all the posts are about.

I also talked to Gigabyte and the explanation I got regarding the same above problem was that motherboards and BIOS settings will have small details that are germaine to the way a particular mobo works, etc.. -- ie blame it on the marriage of the mobo design to the BIOS software kind of thing -- so this is sort of a non-answer; however, I can tell you that it was eight pages between Al and myself for some time 'about the same problem' you describe and the settings under Integrated Peripherals were the solutions.

JRL1948
01-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks ZBurns.

Funny that you keep referring to "Call me Al's" thread as I read it in its entirety (twice) before I started my thread. Being the stubborn type I was determined to fix it myself. That being said I could not make my system work.

I have erased the CMOS disconnected everything on the MB and started over from scratch using Rob's "Build Start Up" once again. I think some of my problems are related to a ASUS board rather than the Gigabyte board Rob used (different terminology and menu options).

My HD is SATA and the two CD drives IDE. I'm stumped as to why my BIOS shows the 3 drives (HD & 2 CD) yet dooesn't recognize them outside of BIOS. Does that make sense?

zburns
01-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Looked thru the Asus manual just to familiarize. I will have to go back thru it several more times before commenting further on any suggested BIOS changes. Just to get running I would suggest you stay on the 'default' settings (assume that means auto). Again the WD Data Lifeguard Utility will confirm proper operation once it runs or it will tell you your problem is more than likely gone.

RickyTick
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
My HD is SATA and the two CD drives IDE.

I wonder if that's the problem.

zburns
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
It makes sense only if you have made some inadverdant error that you will eventually run accross. There is a reason why it does not work; best it is a mistake in some setting you made rather than a bad component. Just use static control consistently as you work on the computer and make sure the power cord is always unplugged whenever you stick your hand in it.

My motherboard is ASUS from 2008. Looking at your manual, I see familiar screens, so hopefully my BIOS sub menus will give me "a parallel picture to your sub menus" which the downloaded manual does not show. Based on Al's problems, I still say it is 'lack of' or wrong BIOS setting in the IDE settings. I will be back in several hours; look more at the manual and my BIOS. Al's problem was simple, yet we spent eight pages figuring it out.

Hi Ricky,

In Rob's instructions, he does say you can in the BIOS(Int Peripherals) set the three AHCI settings to IDE and you just loose some speed (I think). Setting JRL's Sata drive to IDE may do it; that was the Gigabyte suggestion on Al's seemingly (?) identical problem.

zburns
01-22-2011, 08:15 PM
JRL1948,
I happen to have an ASUS mobo several years old. The Primary IDE Master/Slave window in Sect 3.4 in your manual is quite similar or even identical to mine in appearance. I missed the fact that your two CD drives are IDE. Section 3.4.2, Storage Configuration allows you to set 'the SATA Configuration'. You can set it to IDE and I suggest you try that. It sounds similar to what Al had to do to fix his problem. He changed three AHCI settings to IDE to solve his problem.

Also, note the footnote at the bottom of the page for Sect 3.4.2 about having to download correct drivers for AHCI if used. (Another reason to set Storage Configuration to IDE for the time being)

Hope this helps!

JRL1948
01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
I have removed one of the CD drives and set the one remaining as the first boot device / ide etc. The CD is recognized in the BIOS as is the HD. I still get the "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I think both of my CD drives may be the problem as I hooked them up to my laptop and could not play any type of CD media. I am heading over to my local Fry's to pick up a new one and see if that helps.

JRL1948
01-23-2011, 07:58 PM
I can't thank you guys enough for walking me (newbie) through my set up difficulty. I used my Kingwin EZ-Connect to verify both of my CD drives were bad. I purchased a new one this afternoon and TA-DA I'm in business and my new system screams.

Thanks again

zburns
01-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Glad you got it going. We are always happy to help!