PDA

View Full Version : Connect the System Panel Cables

Rallo_p
01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Hi,

In the middle of my first build and am following the on-line assemble steps.

Sonata III case
Giga-Byte GA-P55A-UD4P mother board
Intel Core i7 870 processer
nVidia GeForce GTX 460 Video card
8 GB ram Crucial 2x4GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1.5 TB HDD
Sony LightScribe 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Most everything is going together easily and quickly with the exception of ordering the wrong memory.
Got that worked out with Crucial this morning and have the correct RAM on the way.

I did run into an issue regarding connecting the front panel cables from the case to the mobo.
There does not seem to be any instructions for the 2xUSB, eSATA, and HDA/AC'97 connection from the front of the case to the mobo.
The assembly instructions for the section " Connect the System Panel Cables" documents the power switch, reset switch, internal audio,
power LED and HDD LED, but not the other front panel case connections.

The USB is fairly easy I am connecting it to the F_USB1 connector. This will ensure I have access to the On/Off Charge feature
regardless of the BIOS settings for the suspend settings.

The eSATA, I am guessing that I can attach this to any of the 6 SATA2 connectors? Not sure if this will need to be set up in the BIOS as there will not be a drive connected initially?

The HDA/AC'97 connectors have the same plug and one of the 2 will be plugged into the F_AUDIO header. HDA is supported by default but, I am not sure which to use right off or what the differences are between the 2?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

zburns
01-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Rallo and welcome to the Forums.

You are correct on the front panel eSata going to one of the 6 SATA connectors and nothing to do in the BIOS yet. Your Sonata manual should have audio plugs diagrams and some general instructions. Below in the next two paras is a copy from a recent post. Use the HDA plug, not the AC97.

Here is the correct information. For Audio cable from the Sonata front panel. It is a long cable with nine wires going to one black plug marked HDA, the other plug AC97 has five wires 'jumped' over to the HDA plug. Both plugs with 9 pin holes and one pin hole missing to force plug orientation over the F AUDIO header with # 8 pin missing. One plug is labeled HDA and the other AC97. Use the HDA plug on the F AUDIO header. Section 5.2 'Configuring Audio Input and Output' in your manual tells you what to do next (involves making choices on your computer -- seems to be clearly explained in the manual but I cannot get the computer readings. Side point, you can reconfigure speaker arrangements via the software if that matters.)

The labeling of the pins for HDA and AC97 in the Antec manual does not enter into the discussion, since the wiring from front panel audio is already 'fixed' to either of the HDA or the AC97 plug.