PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

Last2Know
01-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi. Everyone; I'm in the process of building Rob's SPC. Iv'e gotten thru setting the BIOS and am ready to shutdown. The instructions want me to load " the Data Lifeguard CD" . What is it? I don't think I have one, or am I creating it when I shut down? Any help would sure be apprieciated.

zburns
01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Hello, Last2Know! You win the 'clever name award' today. Go to Rob's On line instructions, TEST THE HARD DRIVE. A brief set of comments by Rob at the top of that page; also a link to the Western Digital Download page. On the WD download page, enter on the lower right your cat # of your WD hard drive. Use the block "Find by Model Number". Click on the blue arrow to the right. You will go to the "downloads page". You will have several choices. Choose the one that says WD Lifeguard for DOS, CD. You are now on the Downloads Page for Caviar Black. (If your HD is not caviar black, you will be taken to a page for a different HD, for example caviar blue) -- But your model # will get you to the right 'download page'.

Assuming you are at the correct download page. You will see two choices under "Files available for download". One file will read like this: [ (File Name) Diag504fCD.iso (Format) iso (File Size) 2.10 MB ] The instructions as to how to proceed are written below. Ultimately you must burn a CD with the 'iso file' on the CD, then you have a usable CD disc to stick in your drive. Basically, you down load the iso file just mentioned to your computer, then you "burn a CD" using that file. But the " Diagnostics Bootable CD" instructions should tell you what you need to know.

Run the quick test, the extented test and the 'write to zero's test' -- all of them that Rob suggests. The tests do take some time to run.

I have a recent previous post that says all the above perhaps in a more organized manner; I will find it and edit this post to get you to it. But it should be the same as I have told you above.

Also, make sure you use the iso file, not the zip file. If you have any confusion, let me know. It should be straight forward.

EDIT: The recent previous post on this same subject may be found at: Forum: Build your own pc, Thread: Disappearing Drives, Member: WGLuddy dated 1/1/2011. Go to Post # 3 in the Thread, Disappearing Drives.

Last2Know
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks a lot. It's getting close to my bed time ( at 73 it's always close to my bed time), but I'll chase that down in the AM. Again thanks! Rog P.S. If you like the user name you'd really like my pass word.

zburns
01-09-2011, 09:23 AM
The above information should get you to the point of being able to burn a CD of the 'image' file named: Diag504fCD.iso. In order to get to the point of 'downloading' the iso file, you must first enter your WD drive cat # in the so called downloads search page which is a 'catch all' page for access to all Western Digital downloads. Because the file you will need will be for a specific series of drives, entering your cat # is the obvious first step. After clicking on your cat # entry, you will arrive at the correct download for your particular series of Hard Drive.

As I said earlier, use the iso file and not the zip file. As long as you start with your cat #, you should wind up with the correct iso file to download and then burn a CD according to their instructions on the 'download page' with all the instructions that follow the listing for the iso and zip files.

Sorry for all the reduntancy. To me the Western Digital process to get to the correct page leaves something to be desired in the way of 'clear, specific instruction'. So hopefully, you have enough info to finish up. Running this test succesfully, does give you the A-OK on your assembly and operation up to the point of loading the OS!

Last2Know
01-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Well----- After giving myself a big DUH slap, I followed your very thurough and excellent advice. Now that it's ( the computer) a living, breathing entity, I'll sleep alot better. I wasn't looking forward to telling my wife, that I just spent $1300 for a boat anchor and we don't own a boat. Once again I thank you. Rog

zburns
01-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Rog,
Glad it all worked out and that I was able to help!