PDA

View Full Version : BIOS/ Chipset Driver Updates and a strange problem...

Razmo
01-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey Rob,

How are you? I've recently completed a new build, successfully ;) However, I've noticed a strange issue from time to time and had a question about updating my BIOS and Chipset drivers.

My strange problem: I've noticed that my keyboard is unresponsive from time to time. The keyboard itself is several years old but operating successfully according to my device manager. I've noticed it when connected to the Internet (GOOGLE) and when trying to select several folders at a time and trying to delete. Basically, it simply doesn't respond and a reboot takes care of it. Any thoughts?

My primary components are: Windows7 64bit, MSI Big Bang Xpower Mother Board, 6gb of Corsair Dominator, OCZ VertexII SSD, and a GTX480 GPU. (it's my first time using a SSD and Windows7 64bit)

Regarding the BIOS and Chipset Drivers, I've noticed that MSI offers updates for both. I've also noticed a couple exclamation points in the Device Manager (my Marvell ATA and Universal something).. It seems that I cannot use the BIOS Live update feature since I'm running Windows7 64bit, so does this leave me with needed to flash my BIOS prior to running the .EXE file? If so, does this also mean that I will need to create a boot disc? I never installed a floppy drive.

Regarding the Chipset Drivers, can I simply download and install or do I need to uninstall my chipset drivers prior to installing updates? If so, how do I accomplish unistalling the chipset drivers?

Thanks,
Nick

Razmo
01-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Any help here?

The Wise Monkey
01-12-2011, 02:58 AM
You should just be able to download and install the chipset drivers, and it will handle the updating of them automatically.

"Universal something" could be related to USB, so that may be why your keyboard isn't working correctly.

Razmo
01-15-2011, 01:33 PM
You should just be able to download and install the chipset drivers, and it will handle the updating of them automatically.

"Universal something" could be related to USB, so that may be why your keyboard isn't working correctly.

Thanks for this,

Well, the problem is intermittent, but I thinking you're right. My device manager is telling me I lack drivers for the Universal Serial BUS Driver and the Marvel 91xx Config ATA Device. However, it won't let me install the drivers or the chipset drivers from what I recall? You think this is a Window7 (64bit) problem or an MSI problem or either?

The Wise Monkey
01-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Both of these should be fixed by installing the latest chipset drivers from the MSI website.

When you say it won't let you install the drivers, what do you mean? Try downloading the "Intel 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers" from here: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2064 and see if that works.

Razmo
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Both of these should be fixed by installing the latest chipset drivers from the MSI website.

When you say it won't let you install the drivers, what do you mean? Try downloading the "Intel 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers" from here: http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=2064 and see if that works.

Thanks for this, I was able to successfully install the Intel 3/4/5 Chipset drivers, but the same problem remains.

Regarding, it won't let me install the drivers, I mean after trouble shooting it attempts to install drivers for both but is unsuccessful..

The Wise Monkey
01-15-2011, 04:49 PM
It could be that you need to install the USB 3 drivers that are available on that same page.

It is strange that it can't install the drivers automatically, but it may not have the latest drivers available.

Razmo
01-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah...

I decided to load up the installation CD that came equipped with the MB. What's strange, I tried updating the 3/4/5 Chipset Drivers from the disc, but it told me I had a newer version so I cancelled. Then found I didn't have a that device error any longer?

However, the my device manager is still telling me my Marvell 91xx device has no driver. I did install the the 64bit Marvel 91xx driver from the MSI downloads and it told me it installed it. However, my device manager says no driver?

RickyTick
01-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I have a MSI motherboard and I also have the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager for Marvell 91xx Config ATA Device, and USB Controller. But everything runs fine, so what the heck.

Razmo
01-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Interesting! I intend to phone MSI on Monday. I'll post any news.

My concern regarding the Marvell 91xx device trouble is this other perplexing issue related to my OCZ SSD. My Windows Experience Index Score registers a transfer rate of 7.2. However, after running my PC Tools Performance Tool Kit software I achieved a 7.7 (I've heard I should see a 7.6). Don't ask me why, but I decided to try a defrag. I knew I was going to be reinstall the OS anyhow, so I thought I'd try it. I can't figure it out, but I'm now uncapable of achieving a transfer rate greater than 7.2. I've heard defragging can be detrimental to SSD's but I figured it would of course be able to be rectified with a reformat?

Anyhow, would mind sharing your Windows Experience Index Score? Have you overclocked? My current scores (from top to bottom) 7.5, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 7.2. (I'm havig a hard time with the 7.2 disk transfer rate)

By the way, just test my SSD...What do you think?

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd6/Razmo33/OCZ-VERTEX2ATA11520113-47-24PM.png

Razmo
01-15-2011, 06:57 PM
By the way, any idea how to update the BIOS without a floppy drive? I was thinking of installing the 32bit version solely for the purposes of utilizing MSI's auto BIOS update feature...Then reinstall 64bit...

RickyTick
01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Interesting! I intend to phone MSI on Monday. I'll post any news.

My concern regarding the Marvell 91xx device trouble is this other perplexing issue related to my OCZ SSD. My Windows Experience Index Score registers a transfer rate of 7.2. However, after running my PC Tools Performance Tool Kit software I achieved a 7.7 (I've heard I should see a 7.6). Don't ask me why, but I decided to try a defrag. I knew I was going to be reinstall the OS anyhow, so I thought I'd try it. I can't figure it out, but I'm now uncapable of achieving a transfer rate greater than 7.2. I've heard defragging can be detrimental to SSD's but I figured it would of course be able to be rectified with a reformat?

Anyhow, would mind sharing your Windows Experience Index Score? Have you overclocked? My current scores (from top to bottom) 7.5, 7.6, 7.9, 7.9, 7.2. (I'm havig a hard time with the 7.2 disk transfer rate)

By the way, just test my SSD...What do you think?

I haven't overclocked anything on this system. My scores are 7.5, 7.5, 7.3, 7.3 ,5.9. My mechanical HD is obviously the 5.9, and only having a GTX275 is holding back my graphics scores.

I don't know anything about SSD's, but those speeds seem very high, don't you think?

Razmo
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I haven't overclocked anything on this system. My scores are 7.5, 7.5, 7.3, 7.3 ,5.9. My mechanical HD is obviously the 5.9, and only having a GTX275 is holding back my graphics scores.

I don't know anything about SSD's, but those speeds seem very high, don't you think?

Thanks. I suppose they are high. However given my earlier 7.7, the 7.2 is hard to digest. I suppose I'm also irritated of why a 7.2 at this point. By the way, mt GTX480 is the Super Clocked version, which I intend to over clock ;)

Any suggestions regarding an BIOS update?

Thanks,
Raz

Razmo
01-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I spoke to MSI today, it sounds like the Marvell 91xx Driver applies to port 7&8 only on the XPower Big Bang which are the latest 6gb SATA ports. Even though I'm not using them, MSI doesn't understand the reason for the problem. At least the support person I spoke to didn't..

Raz