PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing Drives

WGLuddy
01-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I have used all the componenets recommended for the SuperPC and assemblembled per instructions. The initial boot was exactly as described. The second boot mirrored exactly the screen prints of CMOS setup on page98 of the "My Super PC" manual showing both the Optiaric DVD on IDE Channel 0 Slave and the WDC WD1001FALS on IDE Channel 2 Master.
When Configuring BIOS Parameter settings it called for the Optiaric DVD RW AD-72 to be on IDE Channel 1 Master (page 100 "My Super PC...). After changing the set up to conform to the IDE Channel 1 Master the Standard CMOS Feature element does not show the PIO Mode or UDMA Mode sub-menu entries listed on page 100.
After making all recommended changes to the BIOS and attempting to boot from the CD RW drive the start up screen shows no drives and goingi t the Standard CMOS setup shows no drives and the WD diagnostic "Data Lifeguard Diagnosics for DOS" CD is unrecognized and the bios then shows not drives in CMOS.
WHAT's Up?

zburns
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Here are my suggestions based on a recent similar problem with 'Call me Al', see 'Drives Not Recognized' under FIRST BOOT PROBLEMS, post # 47 -- a lot of confusion in these eight pages of 'back and forth' so I am not suggesting you try to read all of it. The stuff around post # 47 is the meat of the problem -- similar to yours, I think.

If you use the suggestions below, go one logical step at a time. If something does not make sense, stop and ask; reason is to elimate confusion on what we are both talking about.

Assuming you still have the above problems, here are some suggestions and questions. What Gigabyte mobo are you using? I can look at the on line manual and then advise you based on both of us looking at the same thing. Your Standard CMOS window will only show IDE drives. I think your DVD is SATA and I assume your HD is also SATA; they will not be listed in the Standard CMOS IDE screen -- weird but that is the way that mobo works. But in your 'Advanced CMOS Features' screen, you must list the boot order, DVD first (until the OS is loaded), and Hard Drive as second in boot order. If you have a small USB drive or floppy drive or a second HD, the Advanced CMOS Features page will show you what to do.

I should have mentioned the following first, but here goes. You are making references to the Rob's book. It would be best if you go to Rob's 'On line Assembly Pages' and double check your work from there. You might want to go back to 'First Boot' and proceed thru 'Second Boot' to 'Test the Hard Drive'. Once I know your Gbyte mobo part #, the only thing I can look at and make reference to is Rob's online pages.

Under Rob's 'Configure BIOS Settings' in the On line Instructions', please use the following settings in Integrated Peripherals: PCH Sata Control Mode -- use 'AHCI'. For, eSATA Ctrl Mode -- use IDE. For, GSata Ctrl Mode -- use IDE -- these three settings assume your DVD and HD are both SATA drives. (I will explain this later)

Do not mess with the WD Lifeguard Utility, until you have the 'drives recognized' and you are clearly at the 'Test the Hard Drive' section. When you go to the Western Digital website, you will look for 'Downloads', plug in your WD HD cat #, an obvious page will come up with several download choices. Only one will be an ISO file, and that is one you will burn to a disk. You have to use the ISO file for DOS as a download. (Do not use ZIP)

zburns
01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
I went to the Western Digital website several times regards your HD, WDC WD1001FALS. This is the url address for the page I wound up with after clicking downloads and Caviar black: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&lang=en On this page will be the following data -- actually five choices:
•Acronis True Image WD Edition
•Advanced Format Software
(Only for Windows XP users with WD Advanced Format Drives)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Click on the next to last choice [Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)]. You will then wind up at this page: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&sid=30&lang=en You will now have a full page of explanation of how to proceed to download the ISO file and burn a disc. (On this page the instructions are complete enough to allow you to use a ZIP file or the ISO file; I cannot explain the difference in an exact manner. I did google the point, and seemed to me the ISO file would be preferable)

WGLuddy
01-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for volunteering your help. The Gigabyte motherboard I am using is P55A-UD4P; the processor is the Intel i7-870, and the hard drive is the WD1001FALSSP.
Bill