PDA

View Full Version : Looking to make and resell budget computers

huntshaven
12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm new to the whole 'building computers' thing, but I'm good with computers in general. I'm trying to start a small business building very inexpensive computers for use as a learning tool or kids plaything. I'm just curious as to what you think the basic cost would be for a barebones system with windows and office. Also, I need to know recommendations for using windows as an o/s, since there must be a cheaper way than 100 dollars for the o/s per computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

RickyTick
12-27-2010, 09:06 PM
You could always use Ubuntu. Version 10.10 is out, and it's still free.

You're still going to find it nearly impossible to build a computer cheaper than Dell or HP. It's just economies of scale.

huntshaven
12-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Do you think it'd be more ideal to sell gaming computers or other types of customized computers?

RickyTick
12-28-2010, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it would be difficult to say the least. There are already several companies doing custom gaming rigs, like Ibuypower, Velocity Micro, Alienware, CyberPowerPC, and many others. They are able to buy products wholesale in large quantities and cut material and component costs dramatically. If your primary business is to repair and maintain computers and then do some custom building in addition to that, then you might stand a better chance.

jakethesnake27
01-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Economically, that would be very difficult. You may be better served by trying to create a differentiated product. I would not want to price compete with dell and the like, as they possess huge economies of scale and scope...