PDA

View Full Version : First Boot Issue

Rabbitt
12-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Hello,

I just 5 minutes ago started my system, and was for a second greeted by the Gigabyte setup page. Then, it changed to this:

Loading Operating System ...
Boot from CD/DVD :
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
_

Any ideas on what to do from here?

The Wise Monkey
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
This is the expected behaviour on first boot, as there is no Operating System to boot from. You will need to set your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive first, and install your OS.

Rabbitt
12-31-2010, 12:59 AM
My computer had been running since the day I built it fine. I restarted it 10 minutes ago routinely for an update, and now it is stuck at the Mobo screen, saying Gigabyte, talking about the Mobo, with the following options:

Tab - Post
Del - Bios/Q-Flash
F9 - XPRESS Recovery
F12 - Boot Menu
END - Q-Flash

However, my keyboard, although plugged in, does not respond, or show the vaguest sign of being on. I have tried plugging it into all of the different USB Ports. I can't get the Computer to do anything. I tried pressing the power-button, but it has no effect. The reset button simple restarts it and brings it back to the same page. I am afraid to turn off the power directly. Any ideas on what to do?

zburns
01-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Is your situation still the same as your post above indicates or have things improved? If things still the same and keyboard will not work, suggest you get PS-2 keyboard and plug it in. That is the old style plug in keyboard; your back (case) panel I/O connectors on your mobo will have a PS-2 connector. ) I have several comments on the mobo screen you show above. I found these comments in the on line manual for your mobo: F9 is to 'enter' XPRESS RECOVERY, END - Q-FLASH is to enter Q-Flash. Found no reference to the three other choices. I get the impression that your mobo BIOS is telling you something is wrong in the BIOS and you must "Flash the BIOS" which is something you do not want to do unless absolutely necessary -- so do not jump the gun and try to go that route, yet.

Try a PS-2 keyboard first and see it that helps. Your older computer may have a plug in PS-2 keyboard (little round male plug about 3/8 inch diameter with 7 or 8 pins in it). Also, what version motherboard do you have -- 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1. When I looked at the on line manual, I had to choose a mobo version.

Another point, this one not nice. Static electricity charge is absolutely awful this time of year with the cold weather. It is absolutely mandatory that anyone building a computer or working on one always use a method of "static protection" such as Rob describes in his online assembly instructions. In addition, never work on your computer or stick your hand into it, with the power cord plugged into the back of it. Always UNPLUG THE POWER CORD when doing any work on the computer and ALWAYS USE STATIC CONTROL. If damage from STATIC ever occurs you will only know it by a "failure to work" on the part of a component or components. STATIC can knock out a component instantly or damage it in a way that causes failure 'down the road'.

Rabbitt
01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
This was a different problem, and I found the issue. It was attempting to boot off of the external hard drive that I had plugged in. When I unplugged the External Hard Drive and rebooted, everything worked fine.

zburns
01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
With a new computer build, it's always nice to know there was NO problem. Good luck and have a great New Year!

Rabbitt
01-03-2011, 03:24 PM
With a new computer build, it's always nice to know there was NO problem. Good luck and have a great New Year!

Agreed. Hope you had a great new year! :P