PDA

View Full Version : Problem with CPU Cooler Installation

Rabbitt
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
For reference, I'm using a Phenom II 955, and a Gigabyte 870A-UD3.

I initially attempted to install a Hyper 212 Plus Cooling Unit, but I ran into a problem with it. When I attempted to screw the X-shaped retention plate in, the screws didn't reach the stand-offs. I decided to go with the stock cooling unit, as I couldn't find a solution to this.

This person ran into the same problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261528-29-screws-cooler-master-hyper-long-enough

Now, I have attempted to install the stock unit, and I am wondering if I am applying to much pressure. I managed to get both of the hooks attached, but in doing so I had to exert a lot of pressure. Now, to lock it in place, would require even more force. I am I doing this correctly? Are you supposed to apply a lot of pressure?

zburns
12-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Here is a link to a very good picture of the Hyper 212 Plus cooler: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2923 It shows all the parts provided very clearly. Is this what you have? If so, here are two other links to install videos, both of which seem to be pretty good. Both seem to "inform the viewer" in a clear precise manner. Try using these two install videos and see if they help. Just be sure you understand what you are doing in relation to the video; do exactly what the video says to do.

Here are the two video links: (1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebBjZob_Jwo and (2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q&feature=related

If you encounter a problem, try to use one of the video's as a reference in explaining the problem. Hope this helps.

zburns
12-23-2010, 02:41 PM
This is in reference to the Tom's Hardware link. What the two responders in that forum say, makes good sense about the method to be used to tighten up. Evidently there is a hole in the heatsink of the cooler to position the screw at the "center of the X" formed by the two cross diagonal pieces. As long as the cooler heat sink is sitting flat on the cpu heat sink and the large X bracket is positioned right side up, you should be able to get one screw started, say about two full turns, then start the diagonal screw about two full turns, then do the other diagonal, each side two full turns -- two full turns to start with. After that go just a quarter turn to a half turn depending on how that "feels with your allen head wrench" or philips or flat screwdriver (I do not know what type head the fastening screws have on them)

One bit of advice on "how hard you should press". Use the method I described above -- that is reasonable. The force you use for the first screw and then the second should "feel reasonable and doable".
When I attempted to screw the X-shaped retention plate in, the screws didn't reach the stand-offs. The screws are not supposed to reach the stand-offs -- by forcing the X bracket arms to bend and "tension up", you are causing the steel bracket to "exert a force on the cooler with respect to the cpu heatsink" that counteracts the fact that the cooler sticks out horizontally with respect to the vertical motherboard. The weight of the cooler in this horizontal position is trying to 'tip the cooler away from the cpu on the top side' -- the only force to prevent that is the strength of the x-brace or x-bracket you are trying to install.

So to do the installation, you do not run one screw in all the way, then another screw in all the way, etc.; instead you do it as the two guys in the Tom's forum described.

As long as you have the right parts and "you know that you are following qualified instructions" things should work out ok.

I just watched the second video once more. The guy says nothing about how far you run the four spring loaded philips screws that are thru the X bracket into the standoffs. I would run them in as far as they would go; I assume they will 'bottom out' but you compress the top or bottom spring fully on each screw. Or maybe the bottom spring is supposed to be fully compressed -- Last EDIT: I have looked at the video several more times; looks to me like the underneath spring is thinner (less strong) than the upper spring--means it is supposed to compress fully -- so that means you run the top screw in until you cannot turn the screwdriver any more.

One other comment: One or both videos show a little thumb held "round hex socket" (like a socket head for a long rachet wrench). Anyhow the video shows the guy only using his fingers around the "little round device - socket head or whatever it is". But it is supplied as "parts" with the cooler -- so it should have a way to use it other than two fingers -- like a screwdriver slot, philips head slots, allen socket wrench hex hole, etc.. Again, the video left the impression that you use it with your fingers -- you cannot get enough 'torque' on the nut using 'fingers' -- has to be a better way to get more torque. MORE: He uses the socket to tighten the nuts on the underside of the mobo to lock down the mounting plate that goes underneath the mobo -- you cannot get enough torque on that nut using your fingers on the round hex device. The hex device has to have a method of inserting a screwdrive or something to get leverage. The nuts on the underside of the mobo holding the bracket to the mobo have to be tightened with a normal wrench -- not your fingers. So some device like a hex allen wrench has to be "fastenable" to the "round hex device".