PDA

View Full Version : RAID 10 Setup (first ever attempt at RAID)

TitanAura
12-16-2010, 01:24 AM
I've never done a RAID setup before and I know it's a little foolish to go from zero to 10 overnight (wait that's not how it works....) but I was wondering whether it would be possible to create a RAID 10 array using two 640 GB HDs and two 1 TB HDs (total 4) or do they all need to be the same size and type to work? If not, which RAID would you recommend?

WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0 ATA Device
WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B0 ATA Device
WDC WD640FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device
WDC WD640FALS-00L3B2 ATA Device

PS
I've already installed all 4 but I'm currently using one 640 GB drive and one TB drive. It's only a matter of deciding which RAID to use and installing it.

The Wise Monkey
12-16-2010, 03:00 AM
RAID 10 is a very good choice, as it offers a great combination of speed and security.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the best configuration for your disks is! I don't know if it makes any difference in terms of performance.

TitanAura
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I'm not so much asking what the "best configuration" is. I'm just asking if it's literally possible.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/2c1a07d8-9abc-43ad-bce6-462fa4d16fb7

I found what appears to be a quick runthrough of the steps for installing raid 10 though a couple of the steps are slightly vague due to the moderator assuming the people reading it have already gone through the process before. Ex: "Enter the key combination when prompted to get to the RAID controller menu." I have no idea what this key combination is or whether I'll know what it is once I get there since I've never done this before. I'm just hoping it's the "any" key. XP