PDA

View Full Version : SSD Possibly Soon, Any New Cloning Apps Out There?

XYZ
12-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Thinking about getting one of the new solid-state drives, but the computer I want to get it for has a fresh Windows 7 upgrade on it. Rather than do a reinstall of XP, and THEN Windows 7 (remember, it's an upgrade disc), and THEN contact Microsoft to get it activated, are there any cloning apps out there for hard drives? Back in the days of my first build, I used Norton Ghost, and still have the floppy disc for it, but this computer's motherboard has no floppy drive provision, so the use of the old Ghost floppy is out.

The Wise Monkey
12-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Clonezilla is pretty good, and is free: http://clonezilla.org/

XYZ
12-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the tip, Wise Monkey. The SSD is ordered up from NewEgg and should be here by the weekend...now, when I will get to it is another thing....

XYZ
12-19-2010, 06:56 PM
SSD is here, installed, and has been successfully cloned. Intel (the brand of SSD I purchased) has their own batch of software to go with it, as well as a downloadable firmware app. Boot times are greatly reduced, machine is much more responsive, great upgrade.

The Wise Monkey
12-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Glad it all went successfully! I reckon that an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can make for a system nowadays. I just can't quite justify buying one for my laptop... :)

XYZ
12-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I hear you, I only bought an 80GB SSD, which in my case is more than enough storage space, and splurged for the Intel unit, which had the best reviews and supporting software. From the moment you hit the power button until you have a fully-functioning desktop that isn't still loading programs, only perhaps 20-25 seconds will have elapsed...it kicks a**.