PDA

View Full Version : Disk Diagnostic Utility prevents bios from opening!!!

vanillaatbest
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
So I have installed Windows 7 and everything went well, aside from the lack of ethernet compatibility, but that was fixed with a quick realtek driver.

So now, a problem has arisen where I can't get into the bios. I just want to change the default boot drive from my dvd-rom to my harddrive (which has w7 on it).

Instead of letting me get in (and believe me, I have tried many awkward key combinations), it just loads that Western Digital Disk Diagnostic Utility before I see any sign of the bios, then once it's done running, it will try to boot from the disk drive, fail, load from the harddrive, then automatically go into that pre windows mode where it asks you which os to boot. (Only option is windows 7).

This is really strange, and although it doesn't prevent me from using the computer, it is INCREDIBLY annoying.

zburns
12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Turn the computer off, after a minute or so, turn it back on, start tapping the 'Delete' key continous slowly about 3X per second, BIOS should show up. Once the computer is off, it has to start thru the BIOS, no choice. If "delete" is the wrong key, you have already been in the BIOS and you had to tap a key to get in, so use the same key you used to use.

Your keyboard has to work obviously.

RickyTick
12-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Why would you want to change the boot sequence to HD first and not the optical drive?

vanillaatbest
12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Hm. It still didn't get into the bios, however the diagnostic program did stop. So whatever that did, it at least stopped the program. I'm not sure if I want to bother getting into the bios anymore. I think I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, like when I want to overclock. Thanks for the help guys!

Note: Yeah I wanted to change it to HD first because it was causing some serious delay in the loading process. However, I have a feeling it was that diagnostic program all along, as it's much faster now.