PDA

View Full Version : New Build - First Time - Suggestions Please

TWG1572
12-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Hello! I'm a rank beginner at this, been reading a lot and am hoping to give building a system a try. If I fail, I figure I've wasted $700 on stupider things.

This will primarily be a home computer. I do some light gaming, but mainly stuff like Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, etc. Otherwise it may do some occasional home video and photo editing. Most days, it will live a pretty easy life of surfing the net and running office applications. No need for a high power gaming rig here. Stability is also a big deal for me, so probably no OC in the near future.

I like AMD chips, just for the performance to value. I think I want to stick with an x4 processor, just to keep things set up to take advantage of software that runs on 4 cores at some point in the future. I don't want to build something that will last 2-3 yrs, I'd like to get a decent run out of this machine.

I started looking at Athelons, but ended up finding some decent prices on the Phenom II processors so I went that way for right or wrong. Total cost is $714.

Any thoughts? Did I get to wild and crazy with the CPU/GPU given my use?

Antec Sonata III 500 $85
Phenom II X4 955 BE $150
Asus M4A89GTD 890GX $150
Corsair XMS3 4 GB $83
XFX Radeon HD 5770 $140
WD Black Caviar 500GB $55

A couple suggestions other people had was going with cheaper G.Skill Ram and an ASRock 870 MOBO. Thoughts on that? I'll run WIN 7 64

I appreciate any feedback.

RickyTick
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I think it's a very nice build.
I'm not a big fan of the XMS series ram, but I know a lot of people are. I personally like G.Skill better.
I noticed the X4 965 is on sale at Newegg for $160 and has free shipping. Just a suggestion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727