PDA

View Full Version : Drives not recognized

call me AL
11-24-2010, 02:40 PM
At the configure bios step every thing went to plan.
But I did not have the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics disk ready, so I shut the system down and prepared the disk. Upon restart the PC did not recognize any IDE drives and showed the installed drives as AHCI devices followed by a "no drives found" message. After which I get a "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message.

Reentering Bios the Standard CMOS Features are all "None"

Help Please

Al

zburns
11-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Sorry for the late response. First, I assume you have followed Rob's instructions including the build list. If so, you have 4 sticks of Crucial DDR3 memory, 2GB each. Using the on-line mobo manual for GA-P55A-UD4P, page 16 covers installing the RAM modules. I suggest you remove three of the modules and leave one of the modules installed in the DDR3_1 slot. Look at page 16 at the diagram for the memory slots in relation to the CPU. DDR3_1 slot is the second slot going left to right from the CPU. Try booting with only one stick installed. If it does not work, try three more times with a different stick each time but always in the DDR3_1 slot. You might have one bad stick of RAM, maybe one more, but not four sticks. If changing the RAM does not work, go to your manual, follow the instructions and reset the BIOS.

call me AL
11-25-2010, 11:41 AM
No problem with the response time. Yes the build list is exactly what Rob listed. All Items are new. I tried the safe boot option & still no joy. OK on to your suggestion reset bios & one stick at a time.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-25-2010, 01:55 PM
One stick at a time first, please. One other point, sort of my 'obsession'. Static control. I hope you are following Rob's version or a better one for static control. Everytime you handle a PCB or stick your hand inside the case, you need 'first' to physically and mentally 'use good static control measures'. If you do not use good static control or 'randomly use it', and if you have a failed board, you will probably never know 'why it happened'.

As you change the RAM modules and you are exercising 'static control' (via I assume a wrist strap hooked to the computer case with power cord unplugged from the case), put the RAM modules inside the circuit board bag or package they came in, assuming you still have them -- the inside surface of the PCB bags has a patterned conductive inside surface which protects the PCB from static discharge as the part shakes around inside the bag during transit or while handling the bagged component. Do not lay then on plastic or glass - clean and dry plastic or glass is an insulator and allows the presence of static charge.

call me AL
11-25-2010, 07:00 PM
All components were on a conductive mat connected to the chassis, Wrist strap connected to me & the chassis

call me AL
11-25-2010, 08:24 PM
I cleared the Bios and installed one 2G stick. I then redid the "First boot" process with the both the hard drive and DVD drive disconnected. I then connected the drives (for second boot) and configured the Bios Parameter settings (saved) and tried the reboot from bios to the boot disk containing The data Lifeguard Diagnostics Utility. I got the "no drives detected" message, although I did see them in the AHCI menu on Port 3 And 5. Repeated the reboot to boot disk with the other three modules. No Joy

So I don't think this is the problem. All four memory sticks act the same. The DVD drive was not detected. Each of the modules was detected in Bios Standard CMOS features menu and showed the proper 2g value. Actually at the start of this all 4 sticks(8G) were detected in that menu. I doubt that Crucial managed to give me 4 duds.

After the no drives found message I saw the DVD indicator light flicker and I got this message " Loading operating system.......... Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". Is it alive with a bad boot disk?

I do have another DVD drive I could swap in
So next trouble shooting task?

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Should have said this earlier. Have you gone back thru and checked all connections to the components, firmly seated, etc.. Also, your memory stick test was supposed to be done using only the second slot from left to right (cpu on the left), (DDR3_1 slot is the second slot going left to right from the CPU) -- just double checking. You were in the correct slot, correct? It is sort of confusing. Had I guessed and not looked at the manual, I would have said "use the first slot" on the left of the cpu but that would have been wrong!

Go to 'Advanced BIOS Features'. What is listed for First Boot, Second Boot and Third Boot?

call me AL
11-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Yes I used DDR3_1 for the test
First time I did not & got a steady beeping from the speaker.

First boot device = CDROM
Second Boot device = Hard Disk
Third boot device = disabled

zburns
11-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes I used DDR3_1 for the test
First time I did not & got a steady beeping from the speaker.

First boot device = CDROM
Second Boot device = Hard Disk
Third boot device = disabled

Go to 'Standard CMOS Features' -- The right hand column should have some entries besides "NONE". What are those entries in the right column (that are not 'NONE') and what is the IDE Device description in the left column for the corresponding right column entries? Sorry for all the simplistic detail, but 'I am trying to look at your screen' using these questions.

zburns
11-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Your quote: "Each of the modules was detected in Bios Standard CMOS features menu and showed the proper 2g value." This would have been on the second page or window for "Standard CMOS Features". What I am asking for, above, is what the first page or window in Standard CMOS says about IDE devices.

The following are the Western Digital choices for downloads in order to create a DataLifeguardUtilities disc. Which of these choices did you use?
•Acronis True Image WD Edition
•Advanced Format Software
(Only for Windows XP users with WD Advanced Format Drives)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (Floppy)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
•Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

call me AL
11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
No IDE devices were detected, the memory quoted was shown at the bottom of the Standard CMOS features menu

I used DOS for CD. I tried both the .ISO files and the .zip files. I burned the .ISO files directly to disk. I unpacked the zip files & then burned them directly to disk. Neither worked.

The plot thickens on a whim, I just loaded the System 7 install disk and the disk was recognized and the system loaded?

I'm going to let the system just sit there until I hear from you. It's on the first page of the install.

zburns
11-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Are you loading Win 7, if so, did you purchase OEM or retail? When you have entries in the "Advanced CMOS Features" window, meaning the drive boot order, CDROM,then hard Drive 1, then hard drive 2 (if there is one), then the first window, Standard CMOS Features HAS to show IDE devices detected. On the manual I am looking at on the internet, the first page or first window for Standard CMOS Features shows 13 entries for IDE devices. The Standard CMOS Features window looks like this:
IDE Channel 0 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 0 Slave [None]
} IDE Channel 1 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 1 Slave [None]
} IDE Channel 2 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 3 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 4 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 4 Slave [None]
} IDE Channel 6 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 6 Slave [None]
} IDE Channel 7 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 9 Master [None]
} IDE Channel 9 Slave [None]
Drive A [1.44M, 3.5"]

After the above the memory comes next:Halt On [All, But Keyboard]
Base Memory 640K
Extended Memory 1022M
Total Memory 1024M

So you are saying that those 13 entries for IDE devices, just above, all show "NONE"?

Again, repeating myself, the 'Advanced CMOS Features' shows the 'drive boot order', 1st, 2nd, 3rd, device, etc., a separate entry for a floppy drive (if there is one). You say your ADV CMOS FEATURES shows boot order of CDROM,Hard Drive, etc.. If so this should mean that the Standard CMOS Features top window should show IDE devices detected as the CDROM, Hard Drive,etc.. In the Standard CMOS Features window, however many 'boot drives' show in ADVANCED CMOS FEATURES have to show up as IDE devices. If there are three boot drives (not incl floppy), then of those 13 IDE listings three of them should be the boot drives and there will be 10 remaining entries of "NONE". If this is not the case, that has to be a problem or I am not understanding the relationship between Standard and Advanced CMOS Features.

call me AL
11-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Prior to putting in the system disk I reinstalled the full 4 sticks of memory (because I didn't want them laying around exposed to static) & again the full compliment of memory 8G appears in the Std CMOS menu

I did not install windows 7. Thinking I don't need any more problems than I already have.

Yes all of the IDE channels in the std CMOS menu say none including the Drive A.

Initially both drives have appeared in the Standard CMOS list (first and second boot). I've done this several times. After I changed the integrated peripherals setting to AHCI in the appropriate places per the configure bios step, the drives no longer appear in the Std CMOS list (for me)

Thank you

Al

zburns
11-26-2010, 11:48 AM
I looked at Rob's assembly instructions under Int Peripherals and found three items, (1) PCH SATA Control Mode AHCI, (2) eSATA Ctrl Mode AHCI, (3) GSATA Ctrl Mode AHCI that he says should be changed in the Standard CMOS Features. I then looked on the
Standard CMOS Features window and these three 'Modes' are the only three labled 'IDE', and according to Rob, they should (for best opn) be changed to AHCI. Please check Integrated Peripherals and your entries under these three items and they should all say (I presume) AHCI.

By the way, what I am doing is looking at your manual or at least an earlier version of the manual. I am seeing if you and I agree with the BIOS settings. Just because I say something should be "this way or that way" and we do not agree, does not mean that you should change something. Right now, I am only trying to find a "disagreement" between your settings and what I see in the online manual and Rob's instructions.

call me AL
11-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I am using windows 7 Home premium OEM
The build menu I am using is here http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_parts_list.shtml

Yes my Integrated Peripherals menu has the following settings:
PCH SATA Control Mode = AHCI
eSATA Ctrl Mode = AHCI
GSATA Ctrl Mode = AHCI

Interesting when the drives appeared in the Std cmos menu they appeared under slave 3 = DVD drive and 5 master= Hard drive, when I look at the Std cmos menu now (after the Integrated Peripherals menu has been changed) 3 master appears in the list, but 3 slave does not. also 5 master & slave do not appear in the list.

Obviously the DVD/CD drive is being detected, could it be that the message refers to the hard drive. What troubles me is the fact the system does not seem to drop into DOS.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-26-2010, 03:16 PM
According to Gigabyte, the cpu determines what shows up in which left hand numbered IDE device location.

You may not want to do this, but I will suggest it anyway. If I were doing it, I would put the three Int Peripherals back to IDE, and then see what the Standard CMOS Features page showed for the two drives. Count the 'None's before and after. The total of drives plus 'none's always 13. Then I would change one Int Perpheral at a time from IDE to AHCI and check and record what the right hand column showed each time; then change back to IDE. You would be running the test three times with a different "single" AHCI change each time. You would have four distinct totals of the "none's column".

If you run the above test, I am sugesting just three iterations. There are more than that but it will get very confusing to run anymore than the three right now. You are looking for one single event that causes the right hand column to shift from two drives and 11 'None's to 13 "None's" .

The BIOS is either written in DOS or it will recognize and respond to the DOS instruction from the Data Lifeguard Utility Disc. The main system will not recognize DOS (I assume). As I understand it, the BIOS and electronics is in one chip, maybe one more since Gigabyte has a dual BIOS recovery system.

What I suggested in the first para can get confusing quickly. So if you do the above, I would not do anymore combinations until we look at the results first. The only reason I am suggesting it is that just one of AHCI changes may be the problem trigger.

zburns
11-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Al, The following is just a few comments. It strikes me strange that the mobo is SATA device oriented mobo (I just figured it out) and yet the BIOS defaults to IDE on a lot of stuff when it could default to SATA. (Reason is the BIOS software is used by multiple manufacturers for multiple mobos. It is the BIOS software that is doing the 'default'). I am looking at the online manual for something connected to the AHCI settings that is not right. Right now because the Standard CMOS Features screen is not coming up as it should when all is AHCI vs IDE says that is a problem; you have to assume that this is the source of your problem, at least for the moment. It will probably turn out to be something simple. A call to Gigabyte Tech Support in CA is in order Monday just to see what they say about the mobo performance with these integrated perpherals in IDE mode vs AHCI mode.

They will operate in IDE legacy mode, according to the manual. Rob's instructions say the same, and his comments are pretty close to the mobo manual. Operating in the IDE legacy mode is an option, at least temporary if that lets you finish up, etc.. I still think the last suggestion I made to see if any one of the AHCI settings changed back to IDE would cause the problem to go away is a valid test to run.

call me AL
11-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Here are the values for the Std CMOS menu as the Integrated Peripherals menu items were changed from AHCI to IDE in all cases the Drive A value was none. A dash means the channel/device was not in the list. 1st, 2nd and 3rd definitions are below the table.

Below the table I make references to flash screens because I don't know what else to call them. They are the screens that show briefly as the PC searches for devices.
The IDE screen shows what devices are found in IDE (I think)
The next screen is the AHCI screen for hard drives and CDROMs
Note: the 2nd case eSATA control Mode is the only one with 13 entries.

In the last two cases 2nd and 3rd the words "AHCI BIOS installed' is added to the AHCI flash screen

All AHCI 1st 2nd 3rd
IDE Channel
0 master none none none none
0 Slave none none none none
1 master none none none none
1 Slave none DVD none none
2 master none none none none
2 Slave - - - -
3 master none HDD none none
3 Slave - - - -
4 master none none none none
4 Slave none none none none
5 master - - - -
5 Slave - - - -
6 master none none none none
6 Slave none none none none
7 master none none none none
7 Slave - - - -
8 master - - - -
8 slave - - - -
9 master - - none -
9 slave - - none -

a dash means not listed

Pch SATA control mode = 1st
Drives listed in IDE flash Startup screen, No AHCI flash screen

eSATA control mode =2nd
Drives not listed on IDE flash screen, AHCI drives listed on AHCI flash screen, AHCI bios installed

GSATA Ctrl Mode =3rd
Drives not listed on IDE flash screen, AHCI drives listed on AHCI flash screen, AHCI bios installed

I don't know what this all means. The system 7 disk started to install on all of them

Thanks again
Al
Windows NEVER considered WYSIWYG Hope you can decipher this the format got lost in translation

call me AL
11-26-2010, 09:17 PM
OK I'll try Gigabyte on Monday. Would NewEgg be of any help I got the board from them? Of all the cases only the 1st showed the IDE entries, but the AHCI never loaded. There are more possibilities, but not tonight.

Thanks
Al

call me AL
11-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Page 88 of the manual seems to indicate either AHCI or IDE for PCH SATA Control Mode and by implication that the other 2 values be left at IDE. I set it and It doesn't seem much different the the other flavors of

The experiment There are 13 none values spread slightly different than the the 2nd experiment. Of course the set up disk loaded. Some how I thought System 7 required ACHI is that correct?

Al

zburns
11-26-2010, 10:39 PM
If System 7 means Windows 7 install disc, take it out. It is an OEM disc and technically you only get to use it once. Right now you are just still messing with the BIOS and that does not require a boot disc installed. When you are ready to boot you start with the WD Lifeguard disc, run the several tests and then wipe the HD clean using the Lifeguard disc. Then you run the OS install disc. Back in the am.

EDIT: Sat am. If you run the Win 7 disc, successful or even unsuccessfully load it; then for whatever reason you try to run it again, you will or may be blocked. Being OEM, it is only meant to be used on one computer, therefore, a "second" legitimate install, on the same computer, may look to Microsoft as an effort to run the disc in a totally different computer; therefore, it is blocked via some internal code or by multiple entries of the 'product key' (in effect a serial # for the disc). When you successfully run the Data Lifeguard disc, the last test or exercise is "write to zeros" which wipes the disc clean of any already loaded data. At that point when you load Win 7, you are loading to a factory clean disc. (My experience from running Win Vista -- which I still use)

Your Post: "Some how I thought System 7 required ACHI is that correct?". I do not know w/o researching for it.

zburns
11-27-2010, 08:59 AM
I have several items for you. First, for a short period, please ignore the so called test or experiment; I will come back to that next. In this post, I am going to give you three links, one to Tom's Hardware which leads to a link to Microsoft. The third link is a Microsoft link that defines a "dynamic disk". The Microsoft article was last reviewed in 2007 (which at first scared me), but there is a later date of 2010 on the Microsoft doc with a lot of references to current technology. The Tom's Hardware forum is this year 2010. The first post on Tom's may be something like what you are going thru right now.

Please just read thru the first page of the Tom's Hardware just for your information. Then go to the Microsoft link # 1, titled "You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2". Read thru 'symptoms' and 'cause' -- you have both symptom and cause as listed in the article. I emphasize DO NOT DO ANYTHING yet, until both of us have fully explored what is going on. Next, go to the Microsoft Link # 2, which is simple, the article describes a dynamic HD versus 'what yours is supposed to be' -- a basic hard drive. Read thru the second microsoft (link 2) but again do not do anything.

My next post will comment on the test (experiment) and on the three articles, Tom's, Microsoft # 1 and # 2. Again, read thru it all just to get a grasp of the ideas thrown out. I will give you a fairly simple explanation of the three links in the next post.
Links: Tom's Hardware- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254637-32-windows-clean-install-issue Microsoft # 1- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520 Microsoft # 2- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-basic-and-dynamic-disks

Almost forgot: Your hard drive contains accidentally downloaded data from boot disk, Data Lifeguard and Win 7(System 7) disks. You cannot install Win 7 (absolutely or fairly certain) on a HD that is not a "clean HD" as defined by Western Digital and/or Microsoft. Again, the purpose of the DataLifeguard utility last test is to wipe clean the HD with the 'write to zeros exercise'.

zburns
11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
This post will comment on the three links. My next post comment on the test (experiment) from last night. The three links.

First Link to Tom's Hardware article/data written by RDTP: Only one page with two long posts and the middle one very short. The first long para contains just references but it is stuff identical to your stuff, commonality! Middle short para between the two longer paras has a statement to the effect 'no drives found' -- common to your prob. Final long para has several parts, comments, items, etc.. First it contains the reference to the second link. It then talks about "cleaning the HD" using 'Diskpart.exe' - a HD utility similar to Data Lifeguard.

Second Link: Microsoft link titled "You cannot select or format a hard disk partition when you try to install Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2". You have tried to install Win 7(System 7) and it will not install, which is what the title of this MS article says. Article applies to three versions of Vista and Win 7. Under symptoms, two or three of them apply to your problem. Under causes, the third and fourth item may be applicable to your situation. Your 'Hard Disk' is by definition (some data already installed) a dynamic disk, and/or data cable may be loose. Under Resolution, Methods 2,3,6 & 8 all apply to some degree but do not do any of them (this is only info and discussion at this point).

Third Link: This one is simple. It is a definition for a dynamic disk. Reading it, I get the feeling that your partially installed data makes your HD, by definition, a dynamic disk. Your HD to work with your software is by definition a "basic HD" which means it must be clean before you can load Win 7 (PS, Win 7 when loading, will also automatically load updated drivers where needed -- at least that is what Vista did for me, so I assume Win 7 will do it.)

These are my comments on the three links. You have not been able to run the Data Lifeguard disk, yet the Win 7(System7 disk) has loaded some data -- and this makes (may make) your HD a dynamic disk, which (may) causes the HD not to be listed. From reading the Tom's article, I get the feeling that the partial data on the HD is the problem. If so, now the problem is how to get it off and get a clean HD -- not sure how you do that.

If Data Lifeguard will not work, perhaps the Diskpart utility will work -- seems like tom's article, person, RDTP had a similar to identical problem. Need to stop posting and look at it all some more. Back soon.

call me AL
11-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I never allowed the windows 7 install disk to go by the first screen, so I'm probably good there as far as using it. Yes the hardware and problems from Tom's site seems very close to mine. When I referred to a Boot disk, I was talking about the disk containing the Data Lifeguard utility (which never seemed to be found by the system and so never seemed to run).

Hopefully the explanation will be simple enough for me because I'm pretty much lost here.

Thanks for the help,
Al

zburns
11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
It will prob be an hour or two (worst case) before I get back with a suggestion. Basically, we need to get the HD recognized in the BIOS. I am hoping we can do this by rearranging the BIOS config of the three AHCI items -- one or two of these items has to do with the JMicron sata controller which you are not using. We need a 'proper' straightforward looking Standard BIOS Features page with the CDROM and HD listed in separate places, and the rest of the IDEs showing 'NONE'. Then a way to get the WD lifeguard to work or use something else. I will work on it and be back ASAP.

By the way the purpose of the test yesterday was to see if by setting only one of three of Int Perf, to AHCI would cause a change, and it did. In one column you had the HD recognized and I still have a question (s) about your result, but I was glad to see one column show up and the rest nothing. Want to look at that once more just to tie a ribbon around it.

zburns
11-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi Al, I have a question. Please look inside your case at the mobo, lower right hand side where there are a total of 8 Sata mobo connectors. They are in pairs of two in four modules, so the photos appear; three are blue, one is white. Is your HD presently plugged into to one of the three blue or is it plugged into the top most one, the white one. What about the CDROM, is it in a blue or the white connector. The only two drives you have are the CDROM and the HD, correct?

call me AL
11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes I only have two drives a WD SATA drive and an optical cd/dvd drive. They are both connected to the blue sata block. The HD is connected to SATA2_5 and the DVD is connected to SATA2_3. They were the easiest for me to get to.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Good morning Al. Yesterday, by mid afternoon I had been looking at this screen since 6 am with little break, things just became scrambled the rest of the day, too many things about this problem poking their heads up. I have a number of points to share with you; I have been thru all the posts, Rob's BIOS settings, etc. I will have several posts for you over the next several hours.

call me AL
11-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you for hanging in there! I really appreciate your efforts.

Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Data Lifeguard Disc Problem: I just finished a post and I must have "clicked it out of existence someway" cause it did not show up -- never done that before. Anyhow, it is about the DataLifeguard disc not running. Your download is in DOS, and, your BIOS is written in DOS. To be certain of no mistakes on your part, you should follow Rob's instructions to the letter. To this end, here is the quote from the last of his "Configure BIOS Settings" : "Ok, that's done. In a moment we'll be saving the changes, exiting the BIOS and re-booting the computer. But first, insert the CD containing the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics into the optical drive. The First Boot Device under the Advanced BIOS Features menu should be set to CDROM, so the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics utility will be executed when we get that far if all goes well.

Save all changes and exit the BIOS. This is done with the "F10" key on the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P motherboard. The computer reboots after saving the changes. The computer will boot from the optical drive, starting the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics utility."

My comments: At this point, the DataLifeguard Utility is running and you are stuck with it for several hours; you should complete the DATALifeGuard test start to finish, because the finish is the 'Write to zeros test" that cleans the HD. By not running the test start to finish, you inject other 'possibilities' in an already 'easy to confuse' situation. So I suggest you wait on doing this until you see my next posts or I will EDIT this one on some BIOS settings changes and other comments.

EDIT: At the end of BIOS Settings, the DATA Lifeguard Test is running, so you need to already be prepared to go into the "Test the Hard Drive" portion of Rob's instructions. Again I would wait on doing this until you have made any BIOS settings changes I might suggest in the next Posts. Related comment here: The Tom's article and the Microsoft Support Article indicate problems with the HD not being recognized. On the three AHCI tests you ran, only the 2nd AHCI setting showed the two drives as recognized. Thruout the other columns, 'NONE' was the only word shown or nothing was there. 2nd EDIT: About the tests you ran, the three columns. The second column did recognize the two drives. The other two did not and they should. What are the possible problems. The Tom's Hware article pointed to the Microsoft Support article which said 'Symptom - HD not recognized, Cause-dynamic partition created or something like that (I will have to edit this)', solution # 8 - Wipe Clean the HD. The author of the Tom's post did this running Discpart Utility and fixed his problem.

So as I see it, you have to know you have a 'wiped clean hard drive' via the DATALifeGuard Utility 'write to zeros test'. Then, in Integrated Peripherals with all three of the BIOS settings already or still set to AHCI, see if on the Standard CMOS Features page, the thirteen IDE columns all show up, two of them with Drives recognized, and 11 of them showing 'NONE".

If the above does not solve the problem, I would change all AHCI settings to the IDE settings using legacy mode (or whatever the correct terminology is). Doing this may require that you clean the HD once more.

(Here is a question, that is unrelated to some degree to the immediate topic, I want to ask Gigabyte; several weeks ago they told me that the cpu determines what numbered IDE position shows up in the Standard CMOS Features page; my question is 'since the cpu is doing the work and is software driven, as long as the 'recognized drives show up, does the software allow for any of the 'master' or 'slave' entries that are 'NONE' to just be omitted. As long as 'what is recognized' shows up, that tells the viewer accurate info. The counter argument being that it is best for the viewer if the Standard CMOS Features page should always show all 13 positions as one of two things -- a recognized device or 'NONE'. -- again this is not important at this time, just a reminder note)

Finally, I will reread all the above several times to see if I am clear. You read it, ask me to explain, etc. any thing you do not understand. None of this is hard. There is so much interactive stuff, it just eats up time trying to mentally organize it all and to consider all possibilities.

zburns
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Al, I think what I said in the above post is correct or ok. However, before you run the WD DataLifeguard Disc, go back over Rob's BIOS settings for Integrated Peripherals and make sure your settings agree with his. The reason is the test setup I asked you to do the other day. I treated each AHCI BIOS setting as if it were a stand alone setting and did not require the other two AHCI settings at the same time. So as you ran them individually one at a time and set the other two to IDE, you inadvertantly set up an incorrect situation, hence, probably the weird readings. So as long as you make sure your present settings for Int Peripherals are ALL the same as Rob's, you should be ok to try the DataLifeguard test. Another point is that when you change one setting from IDE to AHCI there is probably another setting right with it that must be set to "Enable" or "Disable". But as long as all your Integrated Peripherals settings agree with Rob's, you will cover all bases.

Later today, I will go thru the manual and make up a table that shows all Int Perf settings for AHCI and the same thing for IDE.

call me AL
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
I think I understand. What do you want the Integrated peripherals set to ? Do you want me to clear the bios & start over? Both times That I have done that & set the Integrated peripherals to AHCI the Lifeguard program never ran nor was there a DOS prompt (not that I would know what to do with it now, I threw out my DOS for Dummies).

Thanks
Al

call me AL
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Looks like we posted at the same time. I entered the Bios menus & made sure they were the same as Rob's. I saved & exited with the Lifeguard disk in the CD drive. The lifeguard disk did not run. The screen says loading operating system followed by Disk boot failure etc

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
What does the Standard CMOS Features top window say and the Advanced CMOS Features say?

call me AL
11-28-2010, 03:32 PM
This is the same as it was initiallly

Std CMOS Features
0 Master = None
0 Slave = None
1 Master = None
1 Slave = None
2 Master = None
2 Slave = -
3 Master = None
3 Slave = -
4 Master = None
4 Slave = none
5 Master = -
5 Slave = -
6 Master = None
6 Slave = None
7 Master = None

Advanced Bios features as per Rob's instructions

If you mean Integrated peripherals
Per Rob's instructions (AHCI, AHCI, AHCI)

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry, I meant the Advanced BIOS Features window. The boot priority. Are you using the same original download disc for DataLifeguard? If so, I would burn a new one; you know to choose the DOS version on the Western Digital Web page.

On the back of your HD, you have two cables, one is power, the other data or communcations. Do they look like they are fully plugged in? Also, how about the other end, it is the data cable I am really asking about.

zburns
11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
You might want to take your mobo manual and compare their BIOS settings in Integrataed Periferals to those of Rob's, and double check Rob's against your BIOS, once more. His instructions are similar to what I see in the online manual which, I assume, is an early iteration. You have a later version.

I just do not believe you have a defective component; I think we are missing something simple like a BIOS setting not correct. I will go ahead and write out the BIOS changes to go from AHCI to IDE. There is only three pairs of them, I think, and one is the 6gb/s esata which I would probably set for Disable, since you are not using them. That would leave only about 4 changes to switch over. By the way, if you do make changes, please write them down. Back soon!

call me AL
11-28-2010, 07:00 PM
The Data cable for both the HD & the DVD appear to be in and locked. Part of the mystery is the fact that after it says that no drives are found it can start to load the windows 7 installer from the CDROM also It claims to be loading an operating system (DOS?) if so I never get a dos prompt. The boot priority is CDROM then the Hard Disk. I use R/W disks would that have any impact?

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 07:32 PM
"no drives are found it can start to load the windows 7 installer from the CDROM also It claims to be loading an operating system (DOS?) " Windows 7 is an Operating System; generally referred to as OS. I started to write ref your comment on Win 7 loading. That is what makes me wonder if there is something wrong with your Lifeguard Disk.

My comments about using your manual to check BIOS settings against Robs were made in the context that your mobo and manual are a later version. For example the Standard CMOS Features page above on IDE devices is 15 devices long; the online manual only is 13, etc. . I am not sure about switching to IDE instead of AHCI although it would be quick and easy; I read a hint of 'additional drivers necessary' and that would be a big nuisance. It should work fine in AHCI.

EDIT: I looked up Robs HD at Western Digital. The 'Lifeguard Diagnostic DOS File' to download has this file name: Diag504fCD.iso Do you know if this is what you downloaded; anyway, download it and try it. I cannot imagine the R/W disc being a problem.

EDIT # 2: I happened to look this particular page up on Western Digital ref bootable CD for Lifeguard Diagnostics. The file name differs by one character. Take a look at it; it gives you specifics on the download and burn process. I put the link in here but it is long and does not work. Here is the data from the page. Should be enough to work from. The important term in the download is the file name: Diag504cCD.iso (look for the 'exe' version of the file for downloading, see statement in paren below) Do not mess with the zip file unless you want to. Anyway you have two file names now!
--------------------------------------
How to create a Data Lifeguard Diagnostics bootable CD

1.Download the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) image file.

2.Extract the Diag504cCD.zip file to your desktop with a file extraction utility. (Alternately you have the option to download the exe version of the file which does not require extraction with a zip utility).

3.You will see a new file named Diag504cCD.iso on your desktop.

4.Use a CD burning program (such as Nero Burning Rom or EZ-CD Creator) to create a CD from an ISO image using the file Diag504cCD.iso on your desktop.

5.You can now boot the computer to the diagnostics CD. Make sure your boot order in the BIOS is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first.

call me AL
11-28-2010, 09:53 PM
I tried both the .ISO file and the .zip file exactly as you described, burned on my XP system. I even went next door to my Daughters house and burned another copy of the .ISO, because she had Nero installed (I have Sonic). At the moment I have the .ISO file on my Desk top. Let me see about another disk burner program.

Just noticed my file name is Diag504fCD.ISO

Tomorrow
Thanks this is wearing us both out
Al

zburns
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Al, I am not sure of the applicability of that last Data Lifeguard file. I did it all quickly but I pretty sure it derived from 600 gig HD on Rob's build -- do not know if that is yours or not. I will check the HD reference for the file name first thing am.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 08:08 AM
I just checked the Hard drive purchase receipt. I have a WD black caviar 640GB drive 32 MB buffer that I purchased from Dell (gasp) to update my old system. I never installed it because I decided to update the whole system. The WD part # is WD6401AALS. Just did a is it working test (finger touching) on the HD. There's a very slight vibration, the shock mounts on this case are very good! When I go to the WD support page for SATA drives, black caviar that's the file I see. Just checked again the correct part number shows when I mouse over the black caviar "icon".

zburns
11-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Good morning Al. Saw your post. Review, to make sure we are on the same page! HD you reference uses the same Diag504fCD.ISO file for Lifeguard (I checked the WDsite), so you have that.

Because the HD is not recognized in the Standard CMOS Features IDE list, you have to assume that is the reason the Lifeguard test will not run. (No idea why the Win7(Sys 7 seems to load). I keep going back to the Tom's Hware article and the Microsoft Support document that seems to address specifically your problem; ie, the HD not recognized, solution is to wipe the HD clean. So if you can clean it, that is all the guy on the Tom's page did, and he could then load his OS (Win7).

Since you have a replacement HD that has had no Win7 accidentally loaded to it multiple times, this HD should be recognized in your Standard CMOS Features page; it should show up because it is clean whereas your present one is not.

You have to get the Standard CMOS Features (IDE listings) to show the HD and the CDROM as two IDE devices with all others listed as NONE.; this is the NORMAL WAY the PAGE should LOOK. So if you install the so called Dell WD hard drive which is clean, hopefully, it is recognized and then you should be able to load the Lifeguard Diag504fCD.ISO file. (forget the file with the little 'c' I showed you last nite.)

Sorry for the repetition; just wanted to define where we are.

EDIT 15 minutes later: If this HD (assuming it is clean, never used) is not recognized and the Standard CMOS Features Page shows the same as the previous screens, ie. no IDE drives listed, there is something wrong in the BIOS. It could be an inadvertant typing error, wrong entry, etc. or it could be a 'corrupt' BIOS (we do not want to go there yet) but it cannot be the HD. It could also be a poor connection, or defective mobo, but again these comments are all speculation.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I only have one Sata drive it is the one I purchased from Dell & is the one installed in the PC. I'm going to detach & reattach the data cable

It seems to me the the tom's shareware example had access to the DOS prompt. I never do.

I'm going to download Nero-lite & try to burn a lifeguard disk from that.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
If it does not work, any chance you can stick it in another computer and see if it is recognized; I assume entry to the BIOS on a different computer is the same. EDIT: If your Dell is the only possible, would not do it; the Dell your only easy link to all this.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes the Dell is my main computer at the moment. It only had a IDE drive. I got some fresh cds CD-RW, downloaded and ran Nero-lite 10 and did a data disk burn of the unzipped files. I got the same result. Replaced the data cable with a fresh one, same result.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Just got off the phone with Gigabyte. Their suggestion for the Integrated Peripherals was AHCI, IDE, IDE for my configuration. Under that configuration the drives not found message did not occur. Still could not run the lifeguard disk. They suggested trying to put in the CD that came with the mother board & getting the "express recovery 2 message press any key" message meant the cd drive was working properly (which it did). They said to put in the system 7 disk, which I told them it was an OEM disk & I did not want to risk it at this time. The rep felt there was something wrong with the Lifeguard disk. The rep indicated that the Std CMOS menu should be all nones

Through out all of this I have never seen the HD light come on, but maybe I have it wired backwards.

Thanks
Al

zburns
11-29-2010, 04:00 PM
The drives not found message did not occur. Understand that. So the Standard CMOS Features window, should show two IDE drives and 11 or 13 NONES (your BIOS, maybe a later version) has two more IDE slots than the online manual which has 13. Advanced BIOS Features should show first boot, CDROM and second Boot Hard Drive. I am saying this from memory but am I correct? Both drives are now recognized in the Standard CMOS Features window or screen, right?

I suggest you call Western Digital tech support, give them the cat # off the drive, tell them it came from Dell. If that number differs at all (any deviation) from their standard 'retail' cat # say from Newegg, that would mean to me the drive was dedicated to a Dell product. Dell could say normal WD HD, but just takes a little alteration to make it a dedicated product.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
No the STD CMOS has all none which she said was normal
as follows:

0 channel Master = none
0 channel Slave = none
1 channel Master = none
1 channel Slave = none
2 channel Master = none
2 channel Slave = -
3 channel Master = none
3 channel Slave = -
4 channel Master = none
4 channel Slave = none
5 channel Master = -
5 channel Slave = -
6 channel Master = none
6 channel Slave = none
7 channel Master = none
7 channel Slave = -
8 channel Master = -
8 channel Slave = -
9 channel Master = none
9 channel Slave =none

I'll check with Western Digital There appeared to be no deviation from the standard part number (exact match)

Advanced Bios CDROM first, Hard disk second, no third

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Go to Second Boot in Robs online instructions. Look at the second screen. That is what Standard CMOS Features top screen looks like when Advanced BIOS Features screen has the boot order filled in. You identify the drives in Adv BIOS Features and Std CMOS Features recognizes those drives after 'drives are placed in the boot order in ADV BIOS FEATURES. Just look in the manual, between pages 32 and 52 (in that range on the pages).

call me AL
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry but I am completely lost. The Standard CMOS menu looks like the second screen, until you set the Integrated Peripherals to AHCI. Then it looks exactly like the one on the top of page 48 of the Mobo Manual. According to the Gigabyte Rep that was normal.

zburns
11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Al, I talked to Gigabyte twice tonight. The second time was the person I prefer to talk with; however, it was about 8:15 or 8:20 and they close up at 5:30 pacific time. I got different recommendations from each of them, enough that I told the second person I would call back tomorrow. The first person said make all three IDE and then the Std CMOS Features page would show all drives. One AHCI setting will stop the screen from showing any drives, for example. I will get all that explained tomorrow because I will get the best person and I will have my questions prepared. But it will be noon or later when I call them.

The fact that the 'do not recognize drive' is no longer there is good thing. I also want to review Robs Second boot pages and what he says afterwards. His pages clearly show the drives and he goes all AHCI on Int Perif later. So best that I come back to you tomorrow with some "clear things up explanations". Let me know on the latest Data Lifeguard effort.

call me AL
11-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Still not getting anywhere with the Lifeguard. Thought it may be the dvd/cd burner drive on the Dell used my daughters PC no joy. My wife has a laptop running 7 I'll try that.

I think the no drives found relates to the other (white) Sata connectors on the mobo, for some reason AHCI in the last 2 positions of the Int Perifp keeps searching while IDE does not.

Sounds like your in the Eastern time zone (US?)

Thanks for the help
Al

zburns
11-30-2010, 08:34 AM
What do you mean by "...for some reason AHCI in the last 2 positions of the Int Perifp keeps searching while IDE does not." Do not understand 'keeps searching'. Just describe what you see better. Nothing from me until later today until after I talked to Gigabyte once more; want to get the misconceptions straighten out. Go from there.

call me AL
11-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Yesterday the rep asked where my drives were connected after I said only to the blue SATA block. She went on to talk about the Int perifp. We discussed the AHCI in the first position & she wanted go to a different menu. I asked her about the last 2 AHCI positions & she said something to the effect that since nothing was hooked up there (which implies the white SATA blocks) the last 2 positions should be set to IDE.

I will talk to western Digital in a little bit. I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm wondering if there is a problem running what is an IDE boot disk in an AHCI environment.

Thanks for all the help
Al

call me AL
11-30-2010, 01:29 PM
OK I called WD & finally got to a second lvl support person who told me the lifeguard app disk has to be created as an Image (I didn't know never did this before).
Did a google search on how to do this and got it done.

Now with the integrated periph menu set to AHCI, EDI, EDI The lifeguard disk is recognized, but the HD is not and the system stays at the DOS prompt A:

Change the Integrated periph menu to all IDE, the disk is detected and agreement txt is displayed.

I don't see what harm it can do to procede with the test, but I'll wait for your go ahead. After the test I can switch back to AHCI,IDE, IDE to install system 7

I reset the integrate periph menu to all AHCI & got the no drives message found, then the DOS loaded and I got the no drive found error/status: 0120 message mentioned in another thread.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, definitely run it. If your screen is logical and organized as you do it, you know it is ok. Is this what you have? "ISO image
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
This article is about a file format. For ISO in reference to cameras, see film speed.
ISO image Filename extension .iso
Internet media type application/x-iso9660-image
Uniform Type Identifier public.iso-image
Type of format Disk image
Standard(s) ISO 9660, UDF

An ISO image (International Organization for Standardization) is an archive file (also known as a disc image) of an optical disc, composed of the data contents of every written sector of an optical disc, including the optical disc file system. ISO images can be created from optical discs, or can be used to recreate optical discs using software from many software vendors. ISO image files typically have a file extension of .iso. The name ISO is taken from the ISO 9660 file system used with CD-ROM media, but an ISO image might also contain a UDF file system.

Th e lifeguard file download WD was supposed to be a xxxx.iso file?

call me AL
11-30-2010, 02:29 PM
It's running. Yes, I had the ISO files, although I did try the zipped files I finally saved the ISO files as an image for it to work. Do I change the integrated Periph menu to AHCI, IDE ,IDE after the test?

I wish the save as an image was part of the instruction set.

Thanks

Al

zburns
11-30-2010, 04:56 PM
That is good news. We are both relieved. For the settings: (1) PCH SATA Control Mode AHCI, SATA Port0-3Native Mode Enabled, (2) eSATA Ctrl Mode IDE, Onboard eSata Controller Enabled (should already be set to that), (3)GSATA Controller Disable, (these are for the white connectors and you are not using them), GSATA Ctrl Mode IDE. The last settings for (3) take these two out of the picture for the time being. They are for the Marvel 6Gb/sec speed. GByte rep agreed with me on that -- no consequence to doing it.

It will be tomorrow before I call Gbyte with a number of questions. Based on that conversation, you may want to alter some of the above settings. They are not necessarily telling us wrong info, it is just incomplete.

call me AL
11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
I was hoping to be able to install the Windows 7 system tonight. Your thoughts?

Some additional questions not related to the ones I just had
1.There's two additional USB ports on the front of the case do they connect to the F_USB1, or the F_USB on the MOBO?
2. There's additional Wiring for either AC'97 or HD audio from the front panel. It looks like a good match for the AC'97 connector to the F_Audio at the rear of the mobo
3. eSATA line from front panel to ?

Thanks,
Al

zburns
11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
When you ran the Lifeguard test I hope you ran the full gamut of tests that Rob outlined incl the 'full erase' since you had random 'loadings' to it. If you are satisified there is no reason not to continue with loading Win 7. I found that when I loaded Vista, I had to do very little work, just watch it 'go to town'. Hope Win 7 works out that way. Should also mention, Win 7 will probably automatically load a lot of drivers from their 'approved' list contained on the OS disk (my recollection from Vista)(maybe Win 7 will not 'automatically load them' meaning you will have a choice -- I am guessing here -- I was suprised with Vista how many drivers the software disc handled without my having to go to the mfg website, download drivers, etc.)

The manual will tell you which headers are for USB2 and USB 1.1. USB 1.1 is really for very slow stuff. I would think you would put both of front panel USB ports on a USB 2.0 header. USB 2 about 40x faster than USB1.1.
The eSATA line from front panel should go to one of the six blue mobo sata connectors. Audio comments tomorrow sometime.

call me AL
11-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes I did all the tests except for the quick erase, why do that when the full erase does it to.

Off to system 7 land
Thanks,
Al

call me AL
12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
So far so good at the Speed test. No problems with the drivers.
Speed test finished 7.5s for every thing, but the Data transfer at 5.9
Looks like I have a slightly hotter graphics card than Rob's example.

Thanks,
Al

zburns
12-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Al, it will be several days before I talk to Gigabyte. Monday at the latest, I would think. It is best that I am well prepared with my questions and why I am asking them. Z

call me AL
12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Z.
Not a Problem. At the moment everything is running Very well.
I hooked up the front USB ports to the connector called F_USB1 (USB2.0/1.1 specification). Memory sticks were recognized at both the ports.
Also hooked up the front eSATA connector to one of the blue block SATA connectors.
I connected to the internet yesterday & that went well.
Only potentially problematic task is installation of the Sound Blaster card. I know the Azalia CODEC has to disabled in bios.
Last 2 items at the moment are:
1. Where to hook up the front audio ports to Mobo or the sound card.
2. Hook up directly to the DSL modem or use a wireless network card (modem supports either)

Thanks for the help
Al

zburns
12-03-2010, 08:45 AM
One quick answer. If you are not doing your own LAN right now, if you are the only computer at your location, just hook computer direct to your DSL modem. Not too long ago, Ricky Tick did a reccomendation of a new build in which he pointed our that a wired keyboard and mouse was better than a wireless from the point of view of 'gaming'. Meaning that games would have (I assume minute in duration) some interrruptions due to the nature of wireless transmitting in packets, segments of data (not sure of the term). So if your modem is serving only your computer, and you are not wanting to run your own LAN at your location, I would hard wire to the DSL Modem. One further comment. If you are using a DSL provider, I assume you are aware the DSL is very slow in comparison to even the slowest download speed of broadband.

Comments on your other questions probably tonight!

call me AL
12-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Z,
I did not know that about broadband. My DSL modem has 4 LAN connections & a longer cable is on the way. I was going to do that anyway. Turns out the modem is also a wireless "router" my wife connects to it using her laptop.

As far as gaming is concerned I hooked up to World of War craft last night. On the Dell I was typically getting 6 to 8 Fps (Frame Rate) on the lowest resolution and had to cut the display resolution to 1280 x 800. Last night I was running a steady 60 Fps on the full 1600 x 900 my display can handle and with all the various video controls at their full max settings. I'm too old to say "Awesome".

Thanks for the Help,
Al

zburns
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Is the Dell a pentium IV and how much RAM; just curious!

call me AL
12-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Yes a Pentium 4 3G with 3 gb ram. The agp video card probably has a lot to with it its a PNY nividia with 256m

zburns
12-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Several unrelated comments. Your pentium most likely cause of slowdown being a single channel cpu. High speed games designed for multiple cores, therefore quads much better speed for games (and everything else). The pentium has many different things to process, and, oh yes, run a game in between doing all that other stuff!

Your earlier 'post' question: '1. Where to hook up the front audio ports to Mobo or the sound card.' The pink front panel port is for 'microphone input' and the lime front panel port is 'line out' for a headphone or front speaker out. My mobo in the low right hand corner as I look in the case has a 10 pin circuit board male plug with 3 separate twisted pair of wires coming from front panel; each twisted pair into their separate miniature plug AND one four conductor cable (from front panel) going to a separate miniature plug -- these 4 separate sets of wires and plugs (4 plugs total) all go onto this 10 pin male PCB plug on the mobo.

Looking at your on line manual, in the mobo layout picture, a 10 pin plug labeled F Panel in low right hand corner -- similar setup to my Sonata case (if you followed Robs recs, you have the same). If you have not already done so, look in your Sonata manual for twisted pair color code to front panel devices and in your mobo manual for where on the 10 pin FPanel mobo plug to place the front panel plugs/twisted pairs.

Our cases and mobos layout for this agree with each other -- means this is all part of the general ATX specification for cases and mobos -- should apply in general to all ATX components, mobos and cases. (my mobo, ASUS, 3 to 4 years old design wise)

EDIT, two hours later: Forgot one minor point. With my ASUS mobo package (or maybe the Sonata case), I received a single 'plastic female adapter interface plug' . One piece of plastic 10 pins long, 2pins wide to exactly line up with the F Panel mobo 10 x 2 (20 pin capacity) male plug. I could plug the four separate front panel plugs into the adapter plug interface, and in turn plug (now effectively one plug) the interface plug onto the mobo F Panel male connector location. Easier to deal with the 'interface one plug' than four individual very small plugs, particularily in the future.

call me AL
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Z,
I have Rob's build exactly except for a Zalman CPU cooler. My board layout has a 5X2 (10 pin) connector with the label F_audio (pin 8 is not there). According to the manual it is supposed to support Intel HD or AC'97. The case wiring has 2 (5x2) connectors wired to the same cable (wiring) one is labeled HDA & the other AC'97. The Antec book says that they support the Intel standard. The Antec manual has pin call outs that look a lot closer for the AC'97 than the HD. I was looking for a second opinion. No interface plug in my case. The F_audio Mobo connector is just behind the Audio Output/input block.

Thanks again
Al

RickyTick
12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
HDA is the replacement for AC97. You can't connect both.

call me AL
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Rick,

Yes I realize that it's one or the other. Which is better? My problem is the pin call out list HD for the mobo audio does not seem to match the HDA of the Antec case. While the mobo call out for the AC'97 seems a better match to the Antec case. Right now my vote would be for the AC'97. Has anyone done either? If the HDA gives better audio & is safe to hook up I would go that way.

Thanks,
Al

RickyTick
12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't remember what motherboard and case you're using, but unless it's something prior to 2005 you should be using the HDA.

zburns
12-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Al, I am looking at my Sonata manual. Does yours say the following: Pin 1--MIC2L, P2-- AGND, P3 -- MIC2 R, P4 -- AVCC, P5--FRO-R, P6--MIC2_JD, P7--F_IO_SEN, P8 -- Key (no pin), P9 -- FRO-L, P10 -- Line2_JD.

zburns
12-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Al, READ CAREFULLY. This is about F Audio on your mobo and the Sonata Front Panel Audio. (First a mistake which may or may not be obvious. On page 7, bottom post, I was talking about front panel wiring, including audio, but I did not realize at the time I was writing the post that the Antec Manual section on Audio (3.2 AC’97 / HD AUDIO PORTS) which is the same as mine applies only to the audio header located near the back of the mobo. I thought it applied to the Front Panel 10 pin header I discussed in the post) That '10 pin header' at the bottom right of your mobo applies to all front panel wiring EXCEPT the audio wiring.) (My mistake was assuming the Pin Assignment Chart in the Antec section on Audio, applied to the 'speaker' on the low right hand corner 10 pin header on the mobo --location the same for my Asus and your Gbyte mobos. That speaker is the chasis mounted speaker in the Antec case for "beep warnings".)

Here is the correct information. For Audio cable from the Sonata front panel. It is a long cable with nine wires going to one black plug marked HDA, the other plug AC97 has five wires 'jumped' over to the HDA plug. Both plugs with 9 pin holes and one pin hole missing to force plug orientation over the F AUDIO header with # 8 pin missing. One plug is labeled HDA and the other AC97. Use the HDA plug on the F AUDIO header. Section 5.2 'Configuring Audio Input and Output' in your manual tells you what to do next (involves making choices on your computer -- seems to be clearly explained in the manual but I cannot get the computer readings. Side point, you can reconfigure speaker arrangements via the software if that matters.)

The labeling of the pins for HDA and AC97 in the Antec manual does not enter into the discussion, since the wiring from front panel audio is already 'fixed' to either of the HDA or the AC97 plug.

call me AL
12-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Z

Sorry for the confusion. The F_Panel (mobo name) was not what I was talking about. I was talking about the F_audio (mobo name). Yes that's exactly what the Antec manual says is the pin out for the HDA 5x2 connector. Ok I will use the HDA connection. I was just being up tight about hooking things up.

Thanks again
Al.

call me AL
12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Z

The HDA connection works like a Charm!

Thanks for all the help

Al

call me AL
01-25-2011, 07:45 PM
The problems I had with building my super PC were as follows.
(Note: My experience is only with the Gigabyte P55A-UD4P Mobo)
1. The Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility DOS .ISO files had to be burned to the CD as an image or else they will not work.
2. The Integrated Peripherals menu settings
a.) The "PCH SATA Control Mode" pertains to the internal block of 6 blue SATA -3 G/b connections and has to be set to IDE to run the WD DOS Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility boot disk. Afterwards the setting can be left at IDE or changed to AHCI or RAID, whichever you are using .
b.) The "eSATA Controller" refers to the 2 eSATA-3G/b connections on the back panel of the Mobo (JMICRON - JMB 362 controlled). So to use them, they have to be enabled and the selection of IDE, AHCI, or RAID made in the eSATA control mode. If they are enabled and no drives are connected you will get the "Drives not found message" .
c.) The "gSATA Controller" refers to the 2 internal gSATA -6G/b (Marvell 9128 controlled) connections on the white connector block. So to use them, they will have to be enabled and the selection of IDE, AHCI, or RAID made in the gSATA control mode. If they are enabled and no drives are connected you will get again the "Drives not found message" .

Thanks Again
AL

zburns
01-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey Al, I am so glad you posted the above. Makes perfect sense and helps a lot!!