PDA

View Full Version : Hooking the power supply up to the mother board problems

call me AL
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
I have the suggested Antec case including power supply, there appear to be two problems which I hope are small.

1. The 24x2 connector had been snapped (broken), in two pieces so the last 4 pins were seperate from the main connector body (sort of a 20x2 and a 4x2 ). I slid every thing into place and the contact seems firm, Hoping I won't have to send the case back. Other than the fact there is not a firm lock on the 4x2 it seems good. Electrically the connector has not been compromised.

2. Antec seems to have misplaced the 8x2 second power connector on the power supply. instead there are two 4x2 connectors on the same cable labeled "P2". Which fit the Mobo 8x2 perfectly.

Thanks in Advance
AL

zburns
11-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Your point or question # 2 first. What you described is Antec's version of a 2 x 8 plug. Question # 1: The multi wire thick cable from the PSU with the 24 pin plastic plug has one end of it broken off, so you fitted the broken piece back to the larger main plug and inserted it in the mobo. Or are the last four pins loose and you pushed each of the four into the mobo at the plug end correctly? Assuming what I said is correct, either way you can operate. Since this was done in shipment you should get Antec to replace the PSU; it is a bit of trouble to take it out the damaged one and replace it with a new one but not that big of a deal.

Here would be my concern. Each pin attached to a wire in the cable, is pushed thru its respective hole in the plastic housing; a couple of little barbs on the pin or the housing hold the pin into the housing; the pin in the housing then is inserted into the mobo connector pin (male or female does not matter). The housing is what keeps the "pin and its attached wire" from being accidently pulled out of the plug. Said another way, assume the 4 pin part of the housing is crushed and not usable; you inserted 4 wires with pins on them into the mobo 24pin connector. There is no physical restraint holding the wire pins to the mobo connector pins other than pressure; simply pulling on the wire from the cable will separate them -- over time that will happen accidentally as you stick your hand in the case to do something unrelated. If it happens you may not even know it without a problem occuring. Not a good idea long term to leave it like that. It is not a big deal to change out the PSU either, very easy.

call me AL
11-23-2010, 04:38 PM
OK Problem # 1 is not a problem
Problem # 2 I'll contact Amazon & see what happens.

Thank you
Al

The Wise Monkey
11-23-2010, 05:25 PM
It could be that what you are seeing is Antec trying to make the PSU as compatible as possible. Some older motherboards don't actually need a 24-pin connection, and only need a 20-pin connection, so a lot of manufacturers supply it as a 20+4 pin configuration i.e. the extra 4 pins are separate from the main block.

The same would be true for the 8-pin/4+4pin configuration for the CPU power.

As long as it doesn't look broken, then you are probably OK. It may be worth looking up the PSU on Antec's website to see what the exact specifications are.

RickyTick
11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
It could be that what you are seeing is Antec trying to make the PSU as compatible as possible. Some older motherboards don't actually need a 24-pin connection, and only need a 20-pin connection, so a lot of manufacturers supply it as a 20+4 pin configuration i.e. the extra 4 pins are separate from the main block.

The same would be true for the 8-pin/4+4pin configuration for the CPU power.

As long as it doesn't look broken, then you are probably OK. It may be worth looking up the PSU on Antec's website to see what the exact specifications are.

QFT. This is very common. This was the case for all the Antec power supplies that I've worked with.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Mike-Echo/24pin3.jpg http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Mike-Echo/24pin2.jpg

call me AL
11-23-2010, 05:53 PM
My problem looks like the one on the right. Amazon is sending me a new case. Did you use as is or request a replacement? Had a wild idea of zip tying the two parts together (+ superglue?)

My plan is to go forward with the build & swap out the power supply when the new one arrives.

Thanks Again
Al

RickyTick
11-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Sorry, I didn't explain very well. This is normal. It was designed that way. It's made to work exactly like Wise Monkey described.

call me AL
11-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh my Bad will have to cancel the new case! By the way the first boot SUCESSFUL!

call me AL
11-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Hate to say it, but it's right in the documentation in black & white

The Wise Monkey
11-24-2010, 03:12 AM
A salient reminder to always read the manual. :)

Glad it is working OK.