PDA

View Full Version : How long will the AM2 socket be in style?

rustygrant
07-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Anyone know what (whether) AMD is cooking up? Will they be able to recover the obvious Intel lead?

Jamie Nixx
07-19-2007, 12:53 AM
They are coming out with a few new cores in the coming months. But to be honest i don't think they can catch up. The bring out good CPU's but by the time they hit the market Intel are already ahead.

Its going to be the same with AMD's new processors, they will be below par when its time for them to come out.

But AMD are partly responsible for their own demise, they had a stranglehold on the market even though Intel was more famous, had more money and a much bigger company. They could have done something about it and killed off Intel but they didn't and now its come back to bite them in the ass.

I have been officially wowed by the core 2 duo, but i still prefer AMD and i always will, but i needed something better to run my games so i had to go down the core 2 duo route.

The Wise Monkey
07-19-2007, 02:19 AM
AMD are bringing out socket AM2+ in Q4 of 2007, along with the Phenom (Quad core) in Q3. AM2+ will be backwards compatible to AM2 CPUs, but will support DDR3 RAM.

harotoast
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
would one be able to put a phenom in, say, robs m2n32 deluxe motherboard because its am2 compatible?

The Wise Monkey
08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
No, you won't - you can put AM2 processors in an AM2+ socket, but not the other way around afaik.

ep752128
08-19-2007, 01:15 PM
If AM2+ is the successor of AM2 will AMD have any incentive to produce faster processors for the AM2 socket?:( :confused: If not, I better wait or go with Intel when I build my system.

Jamie Nixx
08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
AMD have a few new cores coming out soon, including a true quad core that is supposedly going to blast away Intel, the likelyhood of this actually happening is extremely slim, AMD have a massive mountain to climb and in my honest opinion they are not going to pass Intel anytime soon.

Get an Intel mate, they are very cheap now with the price cuts and whatnot plus the blow AMD out of the water.

packer2020
09-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I've a socket 939 mobo with a single core processor. Newegg has a dual core processor that is compatible with my mobo. The price is tempting since it is a very good, low price. Here are the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 + Toledo 2.0 GHZ socket 939

My current cpu is Athlon 64 3200+. Would the upgrade give my system more kick? I do not plan on building a new system for quite a while. I am a gamer, one of those blokes!

Thanks,

Stan

The Wise Monkey
09-03-2007, 02:13 AM
It will give you quite a boost, although if you want to be more future-proof you would have to change lots of things. :)

But if you want to stick with AMD or don't want to splash out on a new mobo, then that is a good choice.

Jamie Nixx
09-03-2007, 03:23 AM
If its fairly cheap go for it, to be honest though you would only notice a slight diference in strenuous applications and not much else.