PDA

View Full Version : Intel's DDR3 coming out soon

Cirndle
07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
I know a guy and he is working for Intel on some new DDR3 compatible boards and stuff. He basically is doing all the software side and programming for the DDR3 support, everything except make the part well in its plastic form.

Pretty amazing that they are coming out with this. Wonder what AMD will have to come back at this, if anything at all.

CHeers,
Crindle

Jamie Nixx
07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Well considering that they haven't even caught up with the core 2 duo. I can't see them coming back for a long time.

The Wise Monkey
07-19-2007, 02:26 AM
AMDs new AM2+ socket, due for Q4 2007, supports DDR3.

I'm expecting big things from AMD - it will be bad for everyone if Intel become the only decent processor manufacturers.

Jamie Nixx
07-19-2007, 02:31 AM
AM2+ = not a very big leap in my books.

WM is right, it will be really sad if AMD can't pick themselves up.

I too am expecting them to wow us in the near future, even though i can't see it now.

The Wise Monkey
07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
I think that they made a mistake buying ATI - they should have concentrated on making their processors better rather than trying to cash in with graphics cards.

Its all swings and roundabouts though - I'm sure at some point in the future, some people will be having the same discussion but with the roles reversed. :)

Jamie Nixx
07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Hit the nail right on the head there WM.

I hope that in a couple of years time we will be sitting here saying how good AMD are and how much they picked themselves up.

Fancy buying ATI though, everyone knows Nvidia is the best :p

The Wise Monkey
07-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Heh, true - I've always used Nvidia cards. Tried to set up a dual-screen ATI card for my workplace and had no end of trouble with it. -.-'