PDA

View Full Version : Forums Slow

Rob
10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi, zburns,

I got your message about the forums being really slow today around 1pm. I had a lot of error report e-mails from VBulletin about that time. Thanks for the heads up.

RickyTick
11-15-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't know what kind of maintenance they did last night, but the forum is super fast right now!! Woo Hoo :D

The Wise Monkey
11-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Yep, everything seems fairly zippy at the moment. Fingers crossed it stays like this!

RickyTick
11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
It's still rather zippy. We were due a facelift, but this is really bland. Needs some color. :)

The Wise Monkey
11-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I was a bit worried when it all went down, and now we get this fancy interface. Kinda difficult to tell which posts are new though!

zburns
11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
The old site had "loads of contrast" which made text stand out. I would be curious to know what are benefits of this layout versus the old one. Ricky's comments and WM's are accurate!!

Rob
11-16-2010, 09:23 PM
It took a couple of tries but I finally got the forums upgraded to VBulletin version 4. As soon as I saw the interface I almost reverted. I agree with the other comments. I'll tinker around with it and see if it can look any better. I think it will let you configure every little thing, but I don't want to change a thousand settings. It would be nice if it defaulted to the old look, though, wouldn't it?

The main reasons for upgrading were to keep the forum software current and to do my part to address the re-current slowdowns by having up-to-date forum software. Forum responsiveness has been quite good lately and hasn't changed with the new version, so that's good but there's no way to know for sure if the upgrade had any effect on things. But if the slowdowns re-occur then I can address it knowing I have the latest version.

The Wise Monkey
11-17-2010, 02:58 AM
It is definitely an improvement, so thanks for doing the upgrade. :)

zburns
11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Things do look better; not sure I could pinpoint why, but there is better emphasis on key words that help define the layout. If possible, I think it would help if the word "Today" and maybe "Yesterday" could be highlighted better in the right hand "Last Post" column. It is just too easy to "lose" them right now because the entire right column is all in the same weight typeface, as in "no bold print at all".

RickyTick
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Within the Toolbar near the top left of the screen is a button labeled "New Posts" (to the left of FAQ). It's very useful.

Rob
12-02-2010, 10:12 AM
And now, to officially jinx things:

I speaketh the opinion that under the new version of VBulletin that message board response is better and state boldy that no VBulletin message errors have come into my inbox.

Ok - that's the acid test. Let's see how things go now.