PDA

View Full Version : whats a good sound card??

thejudges69
10-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I got a problem with my speakers on my computer. I think that the problem is my sound card on my motherboard won't work with my speaker setup. I have a set of Logitech G51 5 small speakers and a sub woofer. My computer has a Gigabyte GA-ma790gpt-ud3h motherboard, apparently the sound card is a 7.1Realtek ALC889A, The problem is that 2 of the speakers sound like garbage and the sub and other 3 speakers sound good. Would a better sound card help the issue or maybe just a sound card thats not attached to the motherboard. Could anyone recommend a good sound card if the best bet is to put in a different sound card.

zburns
10-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Your mobo has a Realtec chipset on it for your audio, not a separate card.

The outputs from the case rear panel are: 6 x audio ports (Line In / Line Out / MIC In / Surround Speaker Out(Rear Speaker Out) / Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out / Side Speaker Out) .

Obviously be sure your wiring is correct according to your install manual.

Your problem could be from the mobo chipset or it could be the internal electronics inside the woofer speaker enclosure. To help you figure this out, please check and post the following: which speaker output plugs from the woofer cabinet coincide with the two garbled speakers. Also, provide the nomenclature (beside each plug) on the back of the woofer cabinet for all the inputs from the rear of the computer case and outputs to the five speakers.

From this data, I will try to give you some logic to swap speakers and determine whether mobo chip or woofer electronics, etc.

For example, if your rear speakers are garbled, and your side speakers are ok, then swap the audio plugs for "rear" and "side" coming from the computer case. If the problem is the mobo "Realtec" chipset, the problem will "switch" to the side speakers. If the problem stays with the rear speakers (after the input swap), the problem is within the woofer electronics.

From above, the Gigabyte spec: "The outputs from the case rear panel are: 6 x audio ports (Line In / Line Out / MIC In / Surround Speaker Out(Rear Speaker Out) / Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out / Side Speaker Out) ."

From this spec, I assume one audio input from the case feeds "Surround (or rear) Speakers" and another audio input feeds "Side Speakers".

Another possiblility, although remote, is a "broken but slightly touching connection" or a poor solder joint within the audio plug at the case or the speaker. Wiggling the wire right at the plug should change the "garble" coming out at the speakers.

Also, the audio plugs must "go in tight" to the mating female connectors-- looseness means "intermittent connection" -- very unlikely!

FYI. The woofer contains audio electronics in addition to the signals coming from the computer.

thejudges69
11-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Haaa, had it hooked up wrong, pulled the computer out to spray it out and saw it was hooked up wrong, working good now, thanks for the info though.