PDA

View Full Version : Build for an Overclocking computer

Cirndle
07-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey what is a good configuration for a build that would over clock really well, and could someone tell me it is that you overclock like CPu, FSB, ram, GPu.

I am very interested.

Okay thank you.

Crindle

Jamie Nixx
07-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Everything is overclockable, but the CPU is really the only thing you should overclock, and that is only if you feel you really need to.

Even slight overclocking to the GPU or the ram can cause your system to crash or become unstable especially in games.

The only way you can overclock your GPU anyway is by editing the system registry and that is a thing best left alone.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cirndle
07-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I want to overclock my P4 ht 3.0ghz intel processor I know it is a prescott, but since I changed my case fan which blew intake over the cpu sink through a air duct, to exhaust my cooling is awesome.

My hd is sata I and gets cooler the longer I run torture test like from 40c-35c.

How far can i oclock this processor and what air cooling should i get all i have now is sink on it and the case fan that is channeled over it or rather pulls heat from the case.

Thanks.
Crindle

The Wise Monkey
07-17-2007, 01:46 AM
A couple more case fans wouldn't go amiss, as well as an aftermarket cooler.

I've heard people o/cing the P4 to about 3.8ghz, so there is plenty of room to grow. :)

Jamie Nixx
07-17-2007, 08:33 AM
I have got a prescott core to 4.0GHz :eek:

Like the wise monkey once said ;) there is plenty of overclockablity. Just try and get the best aftermarket cooler you can afford and some decent thermal paste such as arctic silver 5.

Cirndle
07-18-2007, 10:10 AM
recommend a cpu cooler for me please.

And do I need software to oclock the cpu, or is it bios based?

Total nooby make a guide./

The Wise Monkey
07-19-2007, 01:57 AM
www.overclockers.com - best site for all things overclocking tbh.

CPU overclocking is done in the BIOS, as is RAM, but GPU can be done using software. As for good coolers, I recommend the ThermalRight XP-90C:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/Thermalright-XP-90C-CPU-Cooler-p-16133.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109122

dadbuilt
07-27-2007, 07:42 AM
You overclock and you burn at some point. Everyone want's something for nothting. If you want more power buy more power. When I can take a celeron or two and clock them to the eqiv of a core 2 duo then count me in until then oc.com can keep fooling others into burning up there CPU's and GPU's. Just a good way to waste good tech.