PDA

View Full Version : First time MOBO question

sa_mull
07-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm looking to build my own computer for the first time, hence why i have joined this lovely site. But man is there alot to look out for.

I guess my first statement should be I'm looking for something powerful for games. Nothing over the top. and i'm planning on staying with XP for as long as I can hold out.

So I found this motherboard searching around and was wondering what you guys thought of it. any short falls it may have.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2945281&Sku=MBM-P5NESLI-940

another thing is that I'm aware that one processor can have dual core. but this has a quad core, and i believe it's only one processor. is this worth it or no?

Last question is when i'm looking around it seems that dual cores have a slow ghz then single is this cause both cores run at this speed? or am I missing something.

thank you for taking the time to read and answer some of my questions. I'm a bit outta date with the new technology.

Mike

Rob
07-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Hi, Mike:

I don't know anything about the motherboard you mention, but ASUS has a top reputation. But that one seems like a lot for a motherboard.

You would build a mighty gamer PC indeed if you used the same components I have in My Super PC, which is an Athlon based rig.
http://www.mysuperpc.com

The Intel E6600 processor is also a good choice, providing a little more performance for a few more dollars, but prices change frequently.

Most applications and games do not effectively use more than a single core. But - dual core is fairly standard hardware anymore. And applications will evolve to use the extra core(s) more effectively.

Jamie Nixx
07-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Possibly one of the best mobo's for Intel and gaming (i have one myself) crap processor.

If you are going to go Intel (which as much as i love AMD they are miles better) then get a core 2 duo not a pentium cpu as they are old news.

A really powerful CPU for gaming but at a good price would be the core 2 duo E6600.

And i think this must be the 100th time i have said this already :rolleyes: but if you are thinking about building and Intel system wait until after the 22nd July as they are having major price cuts.

Any other questions just ask :D

**EDIT** Rob got there first lol

sa_mull
07-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Cool thank a lot guys. ill more then likely get that E6600 it looks pretty solid