PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Retail Computers

vinpaysdoc
09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
HP Pavilion a6312p desktop

I purchased a SSD with the idea of using it to run the OS and a few programs. It's turning out not to be as easy as my simple mind thought it would.

I have installed the SSD but not written to the drive yet. From what I have read, I think I'm going to do a clean install with Windows 7 OEM to the SSD. Of course, I don't have a disk with the original drivers for the Pavilion and was wondering if that was going to present a problem when I install the OS? If so, is there a way to take care of it?

Now that I've stuck my foot in it by purchasing the SSD, I'm trying to find a way to use it as the OS/program drive and then use the existing HD for data storage. Is this possible?

Thanks,
G

The Wise Monkey
09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Windows 7 comes with a lot of drivers already built in, so it may have the majority of your hardware already working. If not, then you can always go to the HP website and download any available drivers.

It is definitely possible to use an SSD as an OS/apps drive, and you will not regret it! :)

vinpaysdoc
09-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm sure others have done this (install an SSD for the OS/programs). Does anyone know of a link to do so for complete novices like me?

Thanks,
g