PDA

View Full Version : Is my new PSU dead?

divedog
09-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a brand new power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814019
This is my first build. I tried to plug in the power supply and hooked up a fan using a 4 pin molex. Nothing happened no fan on the psu no hum nothing. Does it need to be compleatly hooked up to the motherboard etc using the 24 pin in order to show any signs of life or is it DOA?

zburns
09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Several ideas. That is one expensive PSU and, no doubt, a very good one. Due to the expense of this PSU, one would think it was carefully checked before shipping, so I would think the PSU is ok, until proven otherwise!

However, you also implied the PSU internal fan was not running either which does not make sense. If you have voltage coming in to the PSU and the internal fan is not running, then read your user manual carefully and look for a statement that says this is normal until "a temp sensor heats up" and the fan will run. Also, call the manufacturer and see what they say. The internal PSU fan should be running if the PSU is functional; if the PSU has output voltages, it will also be warm to hot in some places, I would think; and the internal fan should be running; even if it is not hooked up to the mobo yet.

My Antec case fan runs off two pins of a four pin PSU molex connector and my CPU fan runs off a motherboard connector which means the mobo must be installed and plugged up from the PSU for that fan to run.

In an "exotic design", I guess it is possible for the PSU internal fan not to run until a certain temp is reached, but your manual would address that situation; the manufacturer would certainly tell you that what you observe is normal.

There is another possibility; the internal PSU circuits could be such that no fans run unless the mobo is hooked up (plugged in). Again, the mfg would have to tell you this, or it may be in your manual. I see no reason for such a design; I am simply saying it is a possibility and would explain what you are seeing.

If you cannot solve the problem and need to repost to the forum, please provide a full component list including the case.

The Wise Monkey
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
It won't actually do anything until it is connected up to your motherboard and a power switch. If doesn't make sense for the PSU to be on all the time if it doesn't have a system to power. :)

divedog
09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I am guesing it needs to be pluged into the motherboard to work. My problem is this is a water cooled setup and I need to be able to charge the loop before I fire up the PC. I am going to try and use another PC to plug in the 4 pin molex for the pump so I can charge the loop and then I can fire up the PSU. I should know tommorow, I will let ya know.

divedog
09-19-2010, 01:35 AM
It just needed to be plugged into the mother board. just fired it up this morning no problems. I7930 with a GTX480 all water cooled.