PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know whether Zalman 9500 is not designed for certain CPUs?

rustygrant
07-12-2007, 11:31 PM
I mentioned this in another entry, but doing some research (product reviews on newegg.com) I found that some people had the same problem I have: when I take off the 9500, it only has AS5 residue around the edges with none in the center. Could this just be coincidence/we both doing same thing wrong? I still feel like I my CPU should be cooler than 38-40 C idle. I refuse to lap it. I'd rather spend the 50-100 for a functioning product.

Jamie Nixx
07-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Yes it should be a lot cooler, around 32degC is the norm but 38-40 is ok.

I have never liked that cooler. It is overated and expensive.

Its not just coincedence because i have the Intel equivalent zalman and it is rubbish. It always seems to force the acrtic silver out towards the edges rather than keep it in the centre where most heat is generated.

Just a question for you. Do you yourself apply the AS5 to the actual heatsink or the CPU itself?

rustygrant
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I apply the AS5 myself. I've watched the instructing video. When I initially applied it, I applied as much as they instructed as they instructed...that didn't work (47 C). When I noticed little contact was made with the contact plate, I used more, to ensure that when pressure was applied, it made contact at least with the AS5.
I wonder if there's something screwy with their contact plates and/or the way their fixed to the motherboard.
I've submitted an RMA to Zalman, thanks for the empathy and info.