PDA

View Full Version : New Build Troubles: WD10EALS 1TB drives+RAID10 = SMART Error?

skellish00
09-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Hello,
Just finished building the high-end build 2 days ago and I just got a "SMART Error(0)" on one of the drives. I had this same problem on my previous box and I'm wondering if the drives I'm using are compatible with RAID.

New box contains:
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Mobo
6GB RAM
(4) WD10EALS-00Z8A0 1TB drives

The drives are in a RAID10 configuration and I'm running Windows7

The earlier machine was a Dell Dimension 8400 that had two WD1600AAUS in a RAID0. I ran this config for 4+ years without an issue and then one day the raid volume crashed. I purchased two of the four 10EALS drives and put them in the Dimension in a RAID1 configure and reinstalled windows. Within a day I started getting SMART Errors on one of the drives. I called WD and they said it sounded like the drives were bad. I returned both to newegg for replacements. I installed the replacements and one of them threw a SMART Error within a day. At that point I couldn't believe I had two more bad drives, and since I was planning on builing a new box anyway I bit the bullet and ordered new hardware including two additional WD10EALS drives (for a total of four).

So, my question is, can I use these drives in a RAID10 or any RAID config for that matter.

If no, what drives should I be using?

If these drives will support RAID any suggestions on what I should do next? Should I simply return the drive back for yet another replacement?

Thanks
Scott

The Wise Monkey
09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi skellish,

I've just had a quick read through the WD Support article on error codes, and it sounds like a bad drive: http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/errorcodes.asp

Perhaps they all came from a bad batch? Alternatively, you are just really unlucky; don't play the lottery any time soon!